FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke for Mac - stonefs?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Okey
Smoke for Mac - stonefs?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 8:48:27 pm

Is stonefs (the stone filesystem) included with Smoke for Mac? For example, is it possible for a customer to format an existing RAID with the stone filesystem, or is stonefs only available on stone storage purchased directly from Autodesk?

I recall reading a whitepaper several years ago (back in the SGI days) about how the stone filesystem provided better framestore performance than the SGI-native xfs filesystem.

Is stonefs still in use, or is it a legacy technology?

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: Smoke for Mac - stonefs?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 10:15:25 pm

StoneFS is a closed file system that is only usable by Autodesk systems. (for the most part) It is still in use today, and tends to offer better performance than standardFS.

StandardFS is a newer open format that allows others to access the RAID. I'm not terribly familiar with standard FS, since I have never used it.

I have no idea what the Smoke on Mac will use, but I'm guessing it will be Standard FS, or maybe it will just read any Mac formatted drive and use that... Or be able to use all three.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Marc-André Ferguson
on Dec 16, 2009 at 9:43:38 pm

Hey guys,
StoneFS is officilally EOL. No StoneFS on Mac, only Standard FS. What is recommended is to format drives in HFS+ Journaled.

Marc-André Ferguson
Product Design Consultant : Autodesk Smoke 2010 Mac OS X Edition

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 17, 2009 at 2:25:21 am

Marc-André,

Thank you for the clarification. I attended the Smoke demo at VCA in New York this afternoon and was extremely impressed. I see Smoke in my future, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

This forum is about to get a lot busier...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]