FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advantages to hard vs. soft clip import (Smoke on Mac)

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Okey
Advantages to hard vs. soft clip import (Smoke on Mac)
on Dec 6, 2009 at 11:07:07 pm

Since Smoke on the Mac is able to soft import Quicktime video clips utilizing many different codecs (including ProRes), are there any advantages to doing a "hard import" of the same media to the framestore? Or is a hard import only available when capturing from a device (deck, etc.), not a file?

I'm just curious if there is any image processing (chroma smoothing, etc.) that's done either optionally or automatically when importing/transcoding 4:2:2 or 4:1:1 clips to Autodesk's native uncompressed 4:4:4 RGB.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: Advantages to hard vs. soft clip import (Smoke on Mac)
on Dec 7, 2009 at 5:05:12 pm

You can hard import files like Quicktime to the Smoke. I don't use soft import very often, so I'm sure if there is much of a disadvantage to soft importing vs. hard importing a file.
I've heard that Autodesk uses a better image processor than other platforms, so an uncompressed clip digitized on the Smoke would have better information then a clip captured uncompressed on FCP. Visually, it would be impossible to tell the difference between the two clips, but I believe you could get a better key off the Smoke clip. At least, that is what I've heard.
Maybe I'll test that out when I get some time.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Dec 7, 2009 at 5:13:27 pm

A Hard import or Managed media will COPY the QT or MXF video (or still image) to the Smoke Standard File system. It will no loager reference the original clip.

A Soft Import or Unmanaged Media will NOT COPY the media to the Smoke Standard FS. It will read the medai and play it back (as best it can) from it's original location. It that media goes offline, like from a USB Drive that's unplugged. You will get checkerboard images on those clips in Smoke.

So for example, we use P2 in house. We store the P2 files structure on USB HDs. I then mount these drvies and soft import my media. This save me tons of space on my files system that I can then use for rendering and new material creation. Soft import is also instant, where hard iport will take some time to transcode.

As for your other question... I am not sure what happens magically from a 4:1:1 source to a 4:4:4 RGB Smoke clip. But the Smoke processing is always of the best quality once it's in the box from process to process.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 7, 2009 at 8:56:31 pm

I was mainly curious to know if there was any advantage to transcoding footage to the Autodesk framestore's 4:4:4 RGB native format vs. doing a soft import, assuming that the soft-imported media already lives on a fast RAID.

For example, does working with uncompressed 4:4:4 RGB content exclusively result in better performance and response time within Smoke, since the system's CPUs wouldn't need to deal with decompressing codecs on the fly?

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Dec 8, 2009 at 9:12:27 am

hey guys:

Moody, you are totally wrong where image quality is concerned. Today the uncompressed quality between FCP and Smoke once derived fron a Kona 3 board will be exactly the same(once captured in 444 of course).
The latest versions of smoke and flame etc used OEM versions of aja's Kona3 board, which is the same as the retail version.

Regarding hard imports, i think there will always be an advantage to using uncompressed material in smoke, as in any editing system, ie, there wont have to be any transcoding when performing dual or multistream functions thus makes the system function faster or more (fluid). What im thinking is if u cature uncompressed media via FCP and do a softimport into smoke, how will that work out. should be great.

WOW smoke on MAC, YAY !!. Realtime R3D playback, P2 files with no transcoding, (sigh) i think i just wet my pants .

HVX200, RED ONE, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Dec 8, 2009 at 2:17:50 pm

oops sorry,

I meant compression and decompression when doing stuff like dissolves etc etc

HVX200, RED ONE, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]