FORUMS: list search recent posts

SMOKE on MAC at InterBEE 2009

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Jaspers
SMOKE on MAC at InterBEE 2009
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:22:13 pm

Hey Moody, would love for you to check out these videos when you get a second.

The only thing that I am wondering about is the video, the second one where he pulls the key and does some Compositing, that is all in ACTION? That looks really slick. Just wondering if they are slipping some BATCH in there, or if we are really seeing what SMOKE for MAC can do?

Also I haven't been able to get an answer about this, but say you are trying to match an offline reference track, an offline edit, can you have that track in the split screen? So you have your current comps, online on the right side of the split and an offline on the left, and watch it back and see where we are off, etc..

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: SMOKE on MAC at InterBEE 2009
on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:28:00 pm

In the second video, they show two things. The first composite, is done with a soft effect (an effect applied to a clip on your timeline), and he shows off the power of the master keyer. All of the keyer's in the Smoke are taken directly from the Flame...
The second composite he does is using Action. No Batch was slipped in at all, that is what action can do. The nodes he shows are the nodes you use in Action. Yes Action is pretty damn cool.

For comparing a rough cut to an assembly, it's really easy. On the Smoke timeline, you can have multiple video tracks, and each video track can have multiple layers. So, to compare a rough cut to your assembly, you open the player and hit view. With the view mode on, you can do a split screen or a blend of the two video tracks.

Hope that answers your questions.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Grant Kay
on Nov 27, 2009 at 1:22:17 pm

Hi Guys,

Sorry to Hijack the thread but:

The Official Autodesk Presentation of Smoke 2010 for Mac OS X has now been posted on the 4Kay Blog for Autodesk Smoke and Flame

This was the recording done at the InterBEE Tradeshow in Japan very recently. This presentation was recorded in English

You can see the blog here:

The 4Kay Story Blog

Regards
Grant

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Dec 4, 2009 at 11:40:04 am

Moody, you use Final Cut Studio as well right?
How does Smoke for Mac CC compares to Color?
Also, would Smoke for Mac replaces Final Cut Studio +Shake or Final Cut Studio+Nuke? Thanks.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Dec 4, 2009 at 2:34:05 pm

If all I was going to do is color correct footage, then I would choose Color to do it. In a direct comparison, Color is a more full featured color correcter. I'm not saying Smoke's color correcter is bad, it is actually very good, but Color is just a bit better.
But, if I was doing finishing on a spot, I would choose Smoke hands down. The thing about Smoke, is that it does everything very well, and it's all integrated inside the Smoke software.
Will it replace FCP+a compositing program? For me it already has... I would much rather work on a Smoke then FCP. With many things, I can do it in 5 mins on the Smoke, instead of having to send it out of FCP to some other program. Once you become accustomed to the Smoke interface, it is a fast system to work on. I mainly do finishing work on the Smoke, but I know there many people who use it from start to finish on a project.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Dec 4, 2009 at 2:41:43 pm

Thanks.
Noted on Color.
About compositing and VFX, I understand your personal preference would be Smoke for the integration but in terms of capabilities, can Smoke for Mac handle all tasks a system like Shake or Nuke can?
Also, how about plug-ins? Are there VFX plug-ins available for Smoke or it doesn't need any? This is a great thing about Shake and Nuke. So many plug-ins available.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 4, 2009 at 4:21:57 pm

[Adam Claude Jones] " can Smoke for Mac handle all tasks a system like Shake or Nuke can? "

No, because Smoke for Mac lacks Batch, which is the nodal compositing system in Flame and Smoke Advanced. You may be able to come up with a similar result, but it will be done in a very different way and probably take much more time. Smoke and Nuke would be great companions.

There aren't any sparks (plugins) for Smoke on the Mac yet, but that will change. Be ready for steep pricing, however. Sparks have never been what one would call cheap...

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Dec 5, 2009 at 3:42:46 pm

Both Nuke and shake use a node based system similar to Batch. Can it handle the compositing? Yes, but like Alan said, you have to have a very different workflow, that isn't as efficient. Once you are used to working with Batch, or any other node based system, it's kinda frustrating to have to work without it. I think it really depends on what type on comping you are doing.

I'm very interested to see where the pricing comes in on Sparks... I don't see how Sapphire can charge its current prices... How can they seriously charge $10k for a spark package...

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:44:11 pm

I see. Thanks. But if it had Batch, or if we were talking about the Full Smoke non mac, could it handle all task of final Cut Studio +Shake or Nuke, meaning advanced editing and advance compositing, or would you still need something like Flame or Inferno?
Because I think it's just a matter of time till the full Smoke including Batch is available in the Mac version.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:58:13 pm

The differences between Smoke Advanced (smoke w/ batch) and the Flame are minor... The only thing the Smoke is missing are 3d tracking, and projectors... Most people use a 3rd party 3d tracker anyways. Personally, I don't really see the need for the Flame most of the time.
Over the past few years, Autodesk has been adding flame features to the Smoke (like Batch, changing the DVE to Action, etc.) and adding Smoke features to the Flame (timeline, editing features). Currently the Smoke and Flame interfaces are still different, but fairly similar.
It wouldn't be hard for them to add Batch to Smoke on Mac, and if they did, it would replace FCP + Nuke.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:41:43 pm

I was always confused about the difference between Flint, Flame, Smoke and Inferno. never quite understood it. All I knew was that was a editor like FCP and a compositor like Shake in one app and that Inferno was compositing only without editing

Return to posts index

Neil Evely
on May 6, 2010 at 11:35:10 am

Hello again Moody, thanks for your help again re XML's the other week.

Just wondering re the split screen option. I've got a Smoke here running on a 4GB fibre from a XSAN and its playing everything back fine, but the split screen option in view is really bad, very juddery and not working at all. The offline is a tiny QT and the online video is 10bit Uncompressed HD.

I've tried localising the media, making DPX's, Stonefising etc and no luck - any ideas?

Thanks again
NEil

Neil Evely
London

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]