FORUMS: list search recent posts

Considering Switching from Vegas

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tempel
Considering Switching from Vegas
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:38:06 am

So I've been cutting on Vegas for six years. I'm in love with the software, but I'm not too in love with windows. I've used Linux before, but I was never happy with the editing choices available from the repositories. I came across Smoke on linuxmovies.org and and I'm very intrigued.

Of course, I do have a couple of questions. First, where should I go to learn a bit about Smoke? I couldn't find much on their website. Do I need a particular Linux distro, or is this more of a appliance style? Should I even be considering switching after six years of Vegas? Also curious about the cost, as I can't seem to find that anywhere either. My producing partner and I are going to be setting up a studio shortly to do feature films and industrials.

Sorry for the long post, but if someone could point me in the right direction to find some answers, it'd be much appreciated.

El

Return to posts index

nick hasson
Re: Considering Switching from Vegas
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:24:30 pm

smoke is a turnkey system that is available only from autodesk. http://www.autodesk.com

The systems range from 60k and up.

Nick Hasson
http://www.niceedits.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tempel
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:40:23 pm

Thanks. I was starting to think that was the case. Are all the pro linux editors like this?

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:43:42 pm

We just upgraded our system to the latest hardware, and that was over $50K. I think the software alone is in the $75k range for the HD version, and the 2K version is probably $25K more. Then add on subscription and support...

Yeah, it's not cheap, but it is the best.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]