FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I learn Smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hipkiss
Should I learn Smoke
on Apr 13, 2009 at 9:05:06 pm

Hi,

I have been an editor for 10years worked on DPSVelocity and FCP and a aftter effects artist for 5years. At my new company they have a Smoke system and the Smoke Artist has left.

So I have been looking at courses and reading about the system, and am undecide if to invest the money and time in learning the system, a lot of people are saying with the high end new macs there is less of a gap between the speed of FCP and MAC.

So what benifits does smoke have over others and do you think they will keep ahead of the others enough to speand the time learning.

Thanks for advice.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
moody glasgow
Re: Should I learn Smoke
on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:02:39 pm

Out of curiosity, why would you have to pay for training? If you are employed by a company and they have a Smoke, and they want you to work on it, they should pay for your training.

Is paying for the training worth it? Yes, if you want to learn the Smoke, the training is definitely worth it. Learning the Smoke can be difficult, but if you want to learn the best system, you have to work hard for it.

I completely disagree with the assertion that FCP on a new mac is almost as fast as a Smoke. FCP is in desperate need on an update to 64-bit, along with many of their "pro" apps. Look at Shake and Color. They are great apps that have either been EOL'ed or haven't been updated in years.

Autodesk, on the other hand releases new software every year, and 4-6 updates in between.

The Smoke is an integrated application that does just about everything well. FCP you is a basic editing app, where you have to go to another program to do any effects with depth.

The Smoke is just a different world then FCP. Personally, I prefer the Smoke because it is a professional editing system, while FCP just calls itself one.

moody glasgow
smoke/flame

Return to posts index

matt johnson
on Apr 15, 2009 at 6:28:39 pm

I just started using Smoke, after being pretty much strictly FCP with a bit of AE on the side. Smoke is everything Final Cut is, isn't, and wants to be. There are still things that don't make sense, since programmers don't live in our world, but the program is solid.

It takes time to learn, but at my company, learning it is going to help increase profits. If we have clients who would rather have their project done in Smoke, we make more money, and I can set up projects in FCP to render while doing edit sessions. Smoke is a way more powerful machine.

There's also not a very high user base for it, meaning knowing it is probably a good way to get/keep jobs in the current economic times.

The program is full of headaches if you come from elsewhere, but it's just a learning curve. Once you beat it, the program is slick, fast, and more powerful than it looks (and it looks powerful).

There's my 2 cents after 3 weeks of using a smoke.

Return to posts index

John Hipkiss
on Apr 15, 2009 at 8:25:39 pm

Thanks for the responses, Sounds like its worth it. Here comes a summer of me looking confused at a smoke system wondering were the hell the trim, slip, camera and many other tools are.

Does anybody know a amsterdam based Smoke editor/trainer.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Matt Clarke
on Apr 27, 2009 at 12:19:38 pm

Hi John,

I agree with the previous responses. I started using Smoke then got myself a Mac Book and Final Cut Pro and After Effects to work on my own projects at home. Although I am new to them and need to really get my teeth into them before I can make a valid comparison, but what I wouldn't give for a portable trimmed down version of Smoke at times. But like anything, I guess I am used to it and need time, and patience to learn a new way of working. I have actually just moved to Amsterdam from London so let me know if you are stuck and need a hand with any questions. I don't think there are many Smoke Artists in Amsterdam. Good luck with it.

Matt Clarke
Smoke Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]