FORUMS: list search recent posts

how can I add a 42" flatscreen for the producer to my Smoke???

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Procopio
how can I add a 42" flatscreen for the producer to my Smoke???
on Sep 30, 2008 at 7:55:00 pm

Smoke 2008...linux OS, running on an XW9400 with the AJA I/O and the Miranda box for edit monitor?

Am I looking at an HD SDI converter box to take the 2nd output of the AJA, or is there anyway to configure the Miranda to send out video through the DVI-B output...and go say DVI to HDMI to the monitor?

Broadway Video, NYC
AVID/FCP editor/engineer

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: how can I add a 42" flatscreen for the producer to my Smoke???
on Sep 30, 2008 at 8:36:44 pm

I'm not running a AJA card on my system, but here is how we do it:

We loop the signal out of our broadcast monitor and into our Plasma. We use the Panasonic TH-50PF10UK with the optional HD-SDI board. I prefer to have my client monitor be a clone of my broadcast monitor so I know we are looking that the same thing.

moody glasgow
editing.compositing.design

Return to posts index

Joe Procopio
on Oct 1, 2008 at 1:50:23 pm

we went with the consumer Panasonic PZ85U in our edit rooms instead of the Pro Panny for a couple reasons...

the panel is identical to the pro series (per our Panny rep), we don't do 24P work, and they calibrate almost perfectly...good enough to color correct in our Final Cut Rooms...not to mention the 42" models are only $1150, and we still use our Sony CRTs for critical viewing...

so that said, we don't have HD SDI inputto work with, only component input, or HDMI through converter box. starting to look more like the SDI box to HDMI is the way to go...but I hate that we have this DVI B output on the Miranda that we aren't using...DVI A going to edit monitor.

hmmm...what about component out of the AJA box...that would solve all our problems.

Broadway Video, NYC
AVID/FCP editor/engineer

Return to posts index

Joe Procopio
on Oct 1, 2008 at 2:03:16 pm

so, AJA box is only active while outputting to tape, so forget about component...trying to boot the coputer with the monitor on the DVI B out....to see if there needs to be something attached when booting to activate the output...will get back to you...I know everyone is on pins and needles, lol.

the Miranda box is used for monitoring on these systems with the AJA card/box

Broadway Video, NYC
AVID/FCP editor/engineer

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Oct 1, 2008 at 4:45:43 pm

So you have 2 DVI outputs on your Miranda? I have an older Miranda that uses one DVI to connect to the IBM computer, and the other DVI is used for my Eizo graphics monitor.
I believe the component outputs on the Miranda would give you a clone of your graphics monitor, not your broadcast monitor. I'm not sure if you have both component and DVI active at the same time...

moody glasgow
editing.compositing.design

Return to posts index

Ralph Scaglione
on Oct 9, 2008 at 2:05:16 am

I also have a TH-50PF10UK, I feed it a 601 signal that hits a AJA HD10C2 SD/HD>RGB converter. I chose this because I heard there was a problem with 23.98 psf hd footage with an HDMI converter. I forget but I think it might have been cheaper to go with the external rgb converter than to use the optional card. Either way I am loving life in the 50 inch lane. Makes a nice picture.

ralph scaglione
http://www.FLYfx.net
How impossible is your next visual fx project?

Return to posts index

Sean Donnelly
on Feb 18, 2009 at 12:16:42 am

The th-50PF9UK is what I've been using. I also use an HDLink pro to drive an eizo on set, that may be a good option for you. The standard hdlink does a good job turning single/dual link HD-SDI into dvi/hdmi using a LUT to allow more precise calibration, and it gives you a blue only mode. The only thing you don't have is a loop through.

-Sean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]