a few operational questions

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan jacobsen
a few operational questions
on Jul 24, 2008 at 4:39:21 pm

ok here goes.

a few things i can't work out and have been bugging me:

1) how do i make the default setting globally auto key off? to me it's logical to not use kfs until you need to animate. and it drives me nuts having to keep turning it off the whole time. or forgetting and having to go through and remove unwanted kfs.

2) in the animation menu i like to have the filters set to 'Exp and Col' and 'Hide All' i thought these would save when saved defaults but they seem to go back to defaults all the time. is there a way to keep them as i like them as the default in all menus?

3) what's the difference between hard commit and commit fx?

4) is there a player in batch? i can't find it. or anyway to play processed clips without returning to desktop.

5) in batch, i'm slipping shots in 'timing' and slipping kfs in 'tracks' but can i do i them together? ie slip a layer up the timeline keeping kfs locked to the footage they're acting on.

6) when drawing a gmask, shouldn't touching briefly with the pen create a pointed vertex? with me all vertices are drawn with tangents whatever i do, and then i have to go back and break them.

7) i expected shift to limit dragging gmask vertices to x or y but it doesn't. is the quickest way to use x and y scale?

8) can i just draw a rectangle in gmask? or do i have to load one then drag out vertices using x and y scale?

9) i'm using ctrl g and ctrl 5 to take snapshots and then show them. ctrl g only works in some menus, is there a more global framegrab? when showing the framegrab buffer the picture is racked down, is there a way to show it at it's correct position?

ok, better stop there.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: a few operational questions
on Jul 24, 2008 at 6:57:41 pm

Hi, I'll try the best I can...

[dan jacobsen] "1) how do i make the default setting globally auto key off? to me it's logical to not use kfs until you need to animate. and it drives me nuts having to keep turning it off the whole time. or forgetting and having to go through and remove unwanted kfs.
- Hmmm... I don't there is a global off for auto key frame... I've just gotten used to clicking on the A next to the soft effect in my time line before I start working on something... I know that doesn't help your question. I quick way to clear those pesky unwanted key frames in the time line: click on the button of the parameter you want to clear the key frames on. Like click on scale to clear any scale key frmaes.

2) in the animation menu i like to have the filters set to 'Exp and Col' and 'Hide All' i thought these would save when saved defaults but they seem to go back to defaults all the time. is there a way to keep them as i like them as the default in all menus?
- One way would to open up an empty Action, and set all the settings the way you like and save the preferences... But then you would have to load the preferences every time you start a project...

3) what's the difference between hard commit and commit fx?
- Hard commit, is just that, you commit any effects to a clip and make them permanent, so you can no longer make changes to those effects. I'm not sure commit FX does.

4) is there a player in batch? i can't find it. or anyway to play processed clips without returning to desktop.
- I'm still on 2008 SP4, so I don't have batch yet. :( I just need some down time to upgrade to 2009.

5) in batch, i'm slipping shots in 'timing' and slipping kfs in 'tracks' but can i do i them together? ie slip a layer up the time line keeping kfs locked to the footage they're acting on.
- see above.

6) when drawing a gmask, shouldn't touching briefly with the pen create a pointed vertex? with me all vertices are drawn with tangents whatever i do, and then i have to go back and break them.
- You can either turn off auto tangents in Mask Setup, or you could try click then press the ALT key to remove the tangent.

7) i expected shift to limit dragging gmask vertices to x or y but it doesn't. is the quickest way to use x and y scale?
- press space+x then click on a vertices to translate x, press space+y to go into y translation mode. space+m brings you back to move mode. Another one to know is space+b for break mode, if you want to break a vertice and remove its tangents, or add tangents...

8) can i just draw a rectangle in gmask? or do i have to load one then drag out vertices using x and y scale? I would just tap out the points of the rectangle, then use space+b and then break all the vertices.

9) i'm using ctrl g and ctrl 5 to take snapshots and then show them. ctrl g only works in some menus, is there a more global framegrab? when showing the framegrab buffer the picture is racked down, is there a way to show it at it's correct position?"

- again, dont know about this one... never used the framegrab on my smoke

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

dan jacobsen
on Jul 25, 2008 at 4:39:08 pm

thanks moody.

for number 8, how would you keep the vertices in line with each other? for instance the 2 top ones to have the same y coordinate?

and for 9, don't you find you need to compare frames to see if they're the same or just to see the difference?

it's hard for me to adjust, i used it on editbox all the time. it was on the equivalent of a mouse button so quantel must have thought it important. after effects has 4, i use them all the time too.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Jul 25, 2008 at 6:17:21 pm

I guess I've always used me eyes to see if 2 vertices have the same y value. If they do, you will have a nice straight line between the 2, if they don't you will get a step along the line somewhere. Or if you need a perfect rectangle, you can always create one in paint and use it for a matte.

Well depending on the situation there are ways to compare frames. One way is to load the 2 frames in different video tracks on the timeline, and in player, use the view button to see the difference. Another way is have one clip on the time line, and one selected in the source focus, and toggle between source and record focus. In a module like Action, you can also load an extra clip as an extra layer and hide and unhide to see the difference.

Not sure if this helps, but this is the way I tend to work. :)

I came from an Avid before I worked on the Smoke, and there were alot of things I had to "unlearn" so I could work on the Smoke without pulling out my hair.... :)

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

dan jacobsen
on Jul 28, 2008 at 4:40:51 pm

thanks.

yes a lot of those work arounds would work for me.

like you, i think i have to unlearn, or at least except, that a smoke doesn't do some things like after effects. there's a lot of good things too.

cheers

Return to posts index

Kevin Johnson
on Aug 13, 2008 at 8:04:36 pm

Quick question along the same lines in the paint module...is there an easy way to create a circle, square, rectangle that has it's center point in the center of the screen, and is proportionally drawn from there. In FCP, it is similar to creating a shape and dropping it in the timeline, and any scaling will be done from the center. When I draw a shape in smoke, if it isn't exactly perfect, I have to adjust my offset.

Thanks!

FCP Editor
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]