FORUMS: list search recent posts

UI resolution

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Boutte
UI resolution
on Jul 2, 2008 at 7:55:26 pm

Is there a way to adjust the UI display resolution or is does it directly correlate with the red hat resolution? An example of whats happening is in editdesk the preferences menu is displayed off of the screen.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: UI resolution
on Jul 2, 2008 at 11:21:48 pm

So are you only having this problem when you open Smoke?
Take a look at this file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
In it you will see a are label "Section "ServerLayout""
Right below it, you will see several lines that say something like:
# Screen 0 "Screen Sony SDM-P234 / EIZO CE240W FX4500G 1920x1154" 0 0

One of these lines doesnt have the # at the begining. That is your screen resolution for the Smoke. That should match the monitor that you are using. If not, make a copy of xorg.conf, then remove the # from the line that matches your monitor / config and put a # before the line that didn't have one.

Good luck.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Jason Boutte
on Jul 2, 2008 at 11:28:59 pm

Yea that's the weird thing the resolution for red hat is just fine it's just after launching smoke the menus are offset to the right so i can only see half of them.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Jul 2, 2008 at 11:45:57 pm

Then I think you need to go into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and take a look at the settings. What monitor are you using?

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Jason Boutte
on Jul 3, 2008 at 12:02:57 am

Well i'm using a dell monitor but the settings are correct for it at least resolution wise. I tried taking it down from 1440x900 to 1280x1024 but that didn't help. The resolution did change though.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Jul 3, 2008 at 6:04:44 pm

Yeah... Using unsupported monitors is a crap shoot. Sometimes they work with the config files, and some will just never work right.
I did a quick search over on the official forums and came up with this thread about a dell monitor:
http://support.discreet.com/webboard/wbpx.dll/read?278739,176

Basically, even though it has the right resolution, it doesnt have the proper sync rate, or something or other. Someone suggested using xvidtune to modify the horizontal sync pulse on your monitor to try and fix it.
Personally, I would just go buy the right monitor, and not mess around with something that may not work even with the right settings.
Is there a reason why you are using this Dell monitor? Did it ever work properly with your system? Do you happen to have access to an "approved" monitor?

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Jason Boutte
on Jul 3, 2008 at 6:57:52 pm

Alright that makes sense. The reason for the dell monitor is that the company I work for bought a server and sent it in to have Smoke installed. Access to an appropriate monitor is pretty unlikely and I do not believed it's ever worked. So I'll probually end up taking a shot with xvidtune. Thanks for all your help.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Jul 3, 2008 at 7:42:52 pm

You can always check Ebay for monitors... just dont pay too much for shipping...

Just found:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-SDM-P234-B-Black-Silver-23-inch-LCD-Monitor_W0QQit...

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Jul 7, 2008 at 12:57:19 pm

Our official SGI slash Trinitron CRT went out and we bought an HP 2408. Nice monitor but it doesn't have sync on green so it wouldn't work. Fortunately (or maybe not) our audio engineer had an HP 2335 that does have sync on green and it works fine. It has a green halo around the outside edge but we can live with it because we have a Sony BVM-20 monitor next to it. Eizo monitors come highly recommended and the newest one, though pricey, will work on smoke. The HP 2445 does have sync on green if you want a fairly inexpensive but high resolution 24" monitor that works with smoke.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television
del underscore edits at wtvi dot org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]