FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which are the best Smoke Plugins?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Key
Which are the best Smoke Plugins?
on May 20, 2008 at 12:49:08 am

Can anyone share their preferences on Smoke plugins?

We are purchasing a new Smoke HD and are considering Sapphire, Tinder and Monster plugins.

I would greatly appreciate some feedback from anyone who has used one or more of these packages.

I have used Sapphire on Avid MC for years and love them, but I am wondering if the Tinderbox and Monster 5D might have something that Sapphire doesn't.

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: Which are the best Smoke Plugins?
on May 20, 2008 at 4:08:11 am

I've had the Sapphire package on my system almost as long as we have had it. Its a pretty good package, although it's pretty damn expensive... I think we paid around 10k for it.

I did a quick check of the other two packages you mentioned, and it looks like they are all the same price range. They all seem to have some similar effects, but I noticed Speed 6 has some particle effects that would be a nice addition to the Smoke, since it doesn't have that capability out of the box.

I would recommend get demo versions of each package. I know GenArts and the Foundry will give you a free 30 day demo license, and I bet you can get a demo version from Speed 6 as well. I would talk to the person selling you the Smoke, and see if they can set you up with some demo versions of the plugins. That way you can try them all out, and figure out what is going to be the most useful to you and the type of work you do.

BTW Congrats on the new Smoke! :)

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Which are the best Smoke Plugins?
on Jul 8, 2008 at 5:57:40 pm

Hi,

Not sure if you are aware of this but BorisFX have sparks that you might find of interest and they are a lot less expensive than competing packages from other vendors. We offer the Boris Continuum Complete package as a sparks option for Smoke with about 150 plug-in effects and one of the advantages to having this on your system is that you can swap preset files created on one platform with any other supported platform. By this I mean that you can save an effect preset from BCC AVX in Avid MC and then use that same preset in BCC Sparks on Smoke or BCC AE in After Effects or BCC FxPlug in FCP.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]