FORUMS: list search recent posts

a Flame Q, but maybe you can help.

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Roberts
a Flame Q, but maybe you can help.
on Feb 24, 2008 at 12:14:19 am

I'm an editor and I just sent an EDL to a finisher working on a Flame. I have 10 "dip-to-blacks" in my cut. When I exported the EDL, in trying to be agnostic as possible, I left off the transitions.

Now, I'm being told that it's going to be another (billable) hour to "build" these dip-to-blacks. I'm confused. If there is no new media (...since we're going to black, it's not like we're missing handles on a transition), then what is so difficult about building a simple dip-to-black in Flame?

Or, am I just getting milked for $$$$?

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: a Flame Q, but maybe you can help.
on Feb 24, 2008 at 3:03:32 pm

Well, my only flame experience has been doing compositing, so I'm not positive why it would take an hour to add the dips to black. But, the flame can be a real pain when it comes doing certain things that would take me about 5 mins on the Smoke.
Just one more reason to finish in a Smoke!!! :)

Building the dissolves manually on the Smoke would still only be about half an hour. So, I would guess it would take a Flame person around half an hour to an hour to do it.

Sometimes Flame "artists" can get a bit prissy about doing something so mundane and repetitive, so they throw out that it will take an hour, when it really won't.

Are you editing on FCP or an AVID? If you are working on a FCP system, XML's are great, and add alot effects that won't make it in an EDL. But, your finisher has to know how to work with an XML, otherwise its pretty painful. So if you use an XML its good to bring a backup EDL.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Bob Roberts
on Feb 24, 2008 at 11:32:14 pm

Thanks for the note. I ended up re-sending the EDL with transitions included.

I think the Flame artist was just being a bit diva...

LOL! Thx.

Return to posts index

Paul Nesmith
on Mar 7, 2008 at 10:27:52 pm

The flame artist could make the necessary changes to the edl in the edl tool, the same one the smoke has and change the list before he every digitizes, should take about 5 minutes tops!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]