FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke 2008 Training

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Johnson
Smoke 2008 Training
on Feb 5, 2008 at 4:47:00 am

I was wondering if anyone has taken the Autodesk Smoke Training courses out in California or Montreal? I've been learning Smoke on my own at my facility but I really want to dedicate myself to the platform. I've gotten through most of the basics, done the online tutorials, and read a good portion of the manuals. I guess I want to know if it is worth starting from scratch at a training center and taking their level one course, or maybe skip over it and jump into level 2.

Any input on how you learned Smoke would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: Smoke 2008 Training
on Feb 5, 2008 at 8:13:49 am

Personally, I started to learn the Smoke on my own, but I took the Smoke Level 1 then the Smoke Level 2 classes, at the Venice office. I had a great instructor for both classes, I think Sybil was her name. I learned a great deal in those classes, and I think they were well worth it, espcially if you are the type who like to get thrown into something. Some people prefer to learn at their own pace and learn things as they come up.

I have talked to someone who took the class, and didn't have the same instructor, and I don't think they got as much out of the class as I did.

Also, it depends on if you work with someone else you can teach you things.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Tom Masters
on Mar 20, 2008 at 2:42:12 am

I took the smoke class in Montreal way back in 2003.
I was totally new to smoke, so got little out of it, but even if I did, I think it was more like a week long demo than really training.
At the time, I did not have access to a system, so I used theirs at night...I learned more on my own going thru the manual.

If you really, really wanna learn, go thru the manual, page by page. Then, real world experience on the job.

Return to posts index

kevin johnson
on Apr 15, 2008 at 5:43:54 pm

Thanks for your responses (sorry for the delay).

I still haven't decided if the training is worth it or not. I'm pretty familiar with the system but need the extra push in order to be ready for client sessions. We have a couple smokes here that I have access to, so I try to get in there as often as I can, it's just a little difficult trying to learn it on my own.

Thanks for you input...how did you become a Smoke editor...were you hired as one or promoted within a company?

Kevin

FCP Editor
Washington, DC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]