FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't get 1080i to work right in Smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Garman
Can't get 1080i to work right in Smoke
on Jan 24, 2008 at 5:10:36 pm

We have a Smoke/Flint combination on Linux platform. We are feeding HDSDI direct from our EX1 camera into the Smoke and it works great at 720p coming out of the camera. We even get embedded audio from the camera as a bonus. It looks and sounds super!

When we switch the camera to 1080 anything and try to capture to a new 1080 partition on Smoke, we get nothing. Config file hasn't changed and this capture partition has worked before with an AJA that converts analog component to HDSDI with a Z1U.

Smoke does capture the video but if we even turn on audio for the capture in 1080 anything everything grinds to a halt. The picture doesn't even show up and if it does it's only a still that changes to another still after about five seconds and so on.

Is the bandwidth that much greater for 1080i than 720p that it would just bog down the smoke system?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve@Garman.Com

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: Can't get 1080i to work right in Smoke
on Jan 24, 2008 at 5:42:14 pm

Off the top of my head, it does sound like a bandwidth issue, or maybe a format issue. How old is the Smoke? How old is the storage system?

I'm too familiar with the EX1, so I dont know what the problem could be with it.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Steve Garman
on Jan 24, 2008 at 7:44:45 pm

The Smoke is about three years old as are its Stones. It's an IBM and one of the first generation of Linux systems. We are still running that original version of the Flint and Smoke software as well.

Another problem we have is that in capture the Smoke screens go black so you can't see what you are capturing. That seems sort of backwards but it wasn't really a problem before we started capturing studio shoots directly into the Smoke. Any ideas on that?
Thanks,
Steve

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
on Jan 24, 2008 at 8:13:54 pm

On the screen going black when you capture: Are you patching a full loop to the deck when this happens? i.e. patch video from the deck to the Smoke, and from the Smoke back to the deck.

Is the problem with all 1080i footage? Do you have another deck you can capture from? Or can you take the footage into a FCP system then transfer the quicktimes in the Smoke? If its only happening on capturing the footage, then it might be a problem with the Centarus capture card.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Steve Garman
on Jan 27, 2008 at 8:53:48 pm

We can capture 720p with embedded audio. We can capture 1080i with no audio, but if we turn audio capture on in the Smoke with 1080i, all just comes to a stand still. Apparently it's just too much for the Smoke.

We can live with just 720p and audio, but we thought we were buying enough horsepower 3 years ago to get 1081. Apparently we weren't. Oh well, what should you expect for $140 grand!

We can capture 1080i just fine with audio on our RTX2 with Premiere CS3--Total cost 2 grand. Go figure!

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jan 28, 2008 at 7:02:59 pm

whats the frame rate?

I wonder if the 1080 is 24p and your synch generator is not a tri-synch with the proper clock for smoke?

Return to posts index

Angus Mackay
on Feb 12, 2008 at 9:22:56 pm

Hi,

It does sound very much like a tri-sync issue. We had similar problems with a box of the same vintage. The earlier DVS equiped linux boxes are very sync sensitive

HTH (belatedly)

Angus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]