FORUMS: list search recent posts

XML Explained

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bibbo
XML Explained
on Dec 21, 2007 at 11:48:33 pm

Can someone explain XML. What it is, how it works? Prepping for an online on Inferno. They are asking for an XML. I have work traditional film jobs before with EDL's only. Never XmL's.

I get the basics, export the file and it seems to link to master clips sort of like an OMF would.

Anything else to know. FCP has version 1-4. What is this? What does Inferno like.

thanks

jack

Return to posts index

moody glasgow
Re: XML Explained
on Dec 22, 2007 at 6:13:03 am

I'm guessing you are planning on linking using the quicktimes from FCP in the Inferno?
Basically, an XML works much like an OMF or an EDL. You can use it like an EDL and recapture all the material (have to be carful, because it will try and recapture the WHOLE master clip from FCP), or you can relink to the original media from FCP. If you go the recapture route, then you have to make sure you use an approved Quicktime codec, like uncompressed, or the Blackmagic codecs.
So, depending or the project it can be easier to just recapture, or to drag the media over.

What I usually do, when sending a project from FCP to the Smoke is this:
Take your final sequence in FCP, use media manager to copy the master clips to a new folder. Drag the XML and the media folder to where the Smoke can grab it. Import the XML on the Smoke, and hit Relink. Usually works...

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]