FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smokes cousin, the Flame, why isnt there a category for Flame? Well, I have a question anyways, ha, about the Octane.

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez
Smokes cousin, the Flame, why isnt there a category for Flame? Well, I have a question anyways, ha, about the Octane.
on Nov 11, 2007 at 7:26:02 am

Too bad theres no Flame forum on the cow, that would be a great add on, though since smoke and flame share the same Octane 2 box, and many smoke users also know flame and the octane quite well, I was hoping one may be able to help me out on my Octane question.

Iam in the market for a used flame system, I found a turnkey system for 12,000, which is not bad for flame 2007, the new linux boxes are just way out of the question though for me, I just stay at my facility to work on the 08 version.

Though I realize I could save a lot of money If I get a deal on the software and licenses, etc, by building my own box.

Are these requirements acurate I found. Let me know if this is true for the system requirements for the Irix Flame 2007.

The article says Flame 2007 requires;
- Dual processor Octane2
- V12 graphics
- 1GB RAM

Can I possibly run Flame with the following setup instead?
- Octane 2 with single core processor
- V10 Graphics
- 2 GB Ram

Here is the link to the site where I got the specs from.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...14/ai_77184207

Iam not seeking maximum functionality and speed, just simple installation and basic compositing, keying at the moment, if crucial I would upgrade and just swap out the V10 for the V12 and add another processor if possible, but for now I just need a system of my own as long as it works and starts up fine.

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
Re: Smokes cousin, the Flame, why isnt there a category for Flame? Well, I have a question anyways, ha, about the Octane.
on Nov 12, 2007 at 5:41:25 pm

I've found that the most expensive part of the system is the software license, especially with today's linux systems. I have all the parts for a smoke/flint SD linux box, but the software license was around $35k for it, plus you have to buy storage.

Smokes and Flames are just expensive, and are hard to justify them if you don't have the clients that demand them and their performance.

What are you planning on doing with the system anyway? Is if for home use?

Return to posts index

Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez
Re: Smokes cousin, the Flame, why isnt there a category for Flame? Well, I have a question anyways, ha, about the Octane.
on Nov 13, 2007 at 3:01:26 am

Thanks for the response, there is not much action in flame or smoke forums I had found out, not evenon fxguide.com can you believe that. But, I dont really plan on buying a flame or smoke, it was just a what if type thing. I simply want to grow as a visual fx artist, and would like to be a freelance flame artist, but how can one be a freelance flame artist without the practice and noodling around to do so, at my job there are just too many projects that there is no time for me to get on there. I just want to take the next step in visual fx, and doing so in a.e, or shake, will limit me by speed, and money, flame artists get paid great and get jobs done at the speed of thought. I just found these systems to be untouchable until I did a simple price check on the sgi octane 2 boxes with irix on them, they are cheap, cheaper than most used pcs, its incredible, I just thought they may be a catch to them that I was unaware of, well considering the flame software is very pricey, that is the only drawback, but may be worth an investment.

I am directing my first feature film next month, and was planning on doing all my visual fx, heavy compositing scenes, and titles and color correction in after effects and shake. I plan on doing many feature films, til I die! So, doing this in shake or a.e may slow me down correct? With render times, etc, note Im shooting at 1080p, 24fps so files are quite heavy, especially with all the effects I plan on doing for all my films.

Would a wise investment be for myself, my own studio, company, be to get the flame, spend the $1000 on the sgi system, buy the flame license, get the storage, and know I can have my own compositing studio in my own home, while growing my craft at my freelance flame career, or just do it the shake, a.e way, take breaks during render times, etc, as I have been doing for my smaller projects.

There are many different paths, but I see the flame path making me grow as an artist more than shake or a.e. Any advice would be great from any smoke, flame, shake, or ae artists out there. Thanks!

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
on Nov 13, 2007 at 5:53:22 pm

One thing about the SGI systems, is that they are slow compared to the Linux machines. Honestly, unless you are specifically looking to learn the Flame, or you have a real need for it, the an old SGI Flame might be disappointing for you.
Many of the things you used to only be able to do in the Flame are now available in much cheaper software. Depending on what type of setup you use for editing, there are many routes you can take to learn special effects. There is a HUGE after effects community here on the Cow, and there are tons of tutorials that would be a great benefit to you.
If you do end up buying the Flame, I would recommend taking a Flame course through Autodesk. The Flame/Smoke interface is not like many other systems, and if you don't have much experience in compositing, it can be a bit frustrating. I took 2 different 5 day courses to get started on the Smoke, one the best things we spent our money on when we bought our Smoke.

Return to posts index

Arturo Camacho
on Nov 17, 2007 at 6:00:29 am

Hi,
Reading your posts i would just like to say that it is really difficult that Autodesk would give you a license for a machine you didn't buy from them. All systems are turnkey systems.

2007 is the last version to run on Octane 2, and im afraid that you need the V12 graphics and 2 processors, as well as a good amount of memory (2.5 gb), the stone also has to be discreet, but again i doubt that they would let you use the software on a machine you didn't buy from them.

From what you're saying a good bet would be going the shake or Toxik route.

flame/smoke will definitely give you a speed increase but the place for them is where there are tight deadlines and the client is working right beside you. It has probably the best toolset and speed, but that's why it costs so much.

In your case I would definitely go the Toxik route unless you plan on doing commercials.

Like Clint said you should definitely consider training with a certified instructor if you do decide to get an old flame.

Arturo

Digital Logic -- Mexico
------------------------------
Certified Flame & Smoke Instructor
Demo, Support & Training
arturocdl@digitlogic.net

Return to posts index

Sean McKee
on Nov 26, 2007 at 9:43:41 am

When I upgraded our Smoke 5 on Octane 1 MXE system (had bought used Smoke 2.5 system and upgraded software to 5), we upgraded to Smoke 6.5 HD on Octane 2. They sold me the software and a Stone, and we built our own system (friend is a used SGI reseller, so it was relatively cheap). Thing is, I actually had a license to use a NON-StoneFS on the Octane, and I was told it would work on the Octane 2, but there was a big headache and miscommunication with Discreet Chicago, some people were fired, and I had to buy the 2TB Stone for five figures. THat said, you should be able to build your own box.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]