FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding Grain to HD footage to try to look like 35mm film. AE, Smoke, Shake, Furnace?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez
Adding Grain to HD footage to try to look like 35mm film. AE, Smoke, Shake, Furnace?
on Oct 18, 2007 at 8:09:58 pm

Does smoke have the best industry standard for adding grain to a non grain footage, in this case HD 1080p for a feature, I am trying to get a 35mm film look.

If Smoke is the ideal system to use, is it a built in node, or a plugin, if so what is the best plugin for creating 35mm grain, and do the settings need to be tweeked. Also what is the render time on a 120 minute feature more or less, are we talking days or hours on a 2 terabite, Irix octane. Thanks.

Here is more of what I am looking for.

For example, what did George Lucas use to add grain on his features shot on HD, or what did Robert Rodriguez, or any other feature use to add grain for their HD features?

Plugins? Furnace?
or
Built in grain in After Effects?
or
Built in grain in Shake?
or
Magic Bullet Suite grain effect?
or
Autodesk Smoke built in grain effect, or Flame plugin?

I want to know what is the optimal best plugin, system, to give you a grain result, speed is not necesary a priority, if one can deliver the same results on AE with 4 weeks render time, vs 1 day render in a Smoke, but relults are the same, thats fine,

my interest is the results, I really just wish to add good looking 35mm grain to my feature, evenly throughout, thanks...

Also, should I repost this in each forum, shake, AE, Flame, Smoke, to get various opinions? Thanks...

Return to posts index

drkimca
Re: Adding Grain to HD footage to try to look like 35mm film. AE, Smoke, Shake, Furnace?
on Oct 22, 2007 at 5:23:01 am

Smoke has very serious, realistic grain tools because of the necessity to take something shot on film stock; de-grain the shot; add effects; and then re-grain the shot to match the original.

The re-grained shot will be seen cut against original film footage so even slight changes in grain structure will be noticeable.

The Smoke has grain adjustable by: actual Kodak film stock; f-stop; separate RGB controls and many other parameters.

I hope this helps...

Kim

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

--Emo Philips

Return to posts index

Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez
Re: Adding Grain to HD footage to try to look like 35mm film. AE, Smoke, Shake, Furnace?
on Oct 22, 2007 at 3:40:11 pm

Wow yes that helped a lot, thanks.

So if I was trying to achieve a realistic visual fx look on Hd 1080p footage,

My workflow would be;

- Shoot ungrained HD footage
- Add effect
- Add grain

That sounds good, but I thought If I add the grain first, it would look more as if i shot on film, and added the effects on top, Flame artists dont de-grain before adding fx to shots such as in films as Transformers and Spiderman right? I thought they would add grain to the CGI and effects to match the plates behind the effects?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

drkimca
on Oct 23, 2007 at 3:22:35 am

Well,

Most of the time you want your F/X to appear organic to your shot (i.e. reality) as shot on film.

So, let's say your shot is an alien spacecraft hovering over the White House with a bright lens flare around the engine.

So we're pretending that a 'real' alien spacecraft really IS over the White House; and we just happened to catch it on film.

So we might start with a real HD second-unit plate of the White House.

Then we would comp in our CGI spaceship in the sky.

Then we would add our lens flare - tracked to the spaceship engine.

Then finally, we would add our film grain - using whatever film stock settings we like.

Adding the grain last would make it look like real artifact.

Remember - you want grain based on the FINAL DENSITY of the shot; usually with the most grain in the mid-tones.
So, although your lens flare might only be 60% bright, if you were to comp in your lens flare as a 'screen' layer mode it could push the light level up near 100% and you wouldn't have much 'grain' (just clear film base)

Good luck...

Kim

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

--Emo Philips

Return to posts index

David Morett
on Nov 10, 2009 at 10:03:25 pm

Is there any way to add film grain using after effects?? Have a small project that requires me simulate BW super 8 footage with 1080i footage?? Any suggestions welcome?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]