FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke 2008 - stoneless?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmybee500
Smoke 2008 - stoneless?
on Sep 27, 2007 at 2:10:51 pm

Has anybody tried the new 2008 systems without Stones as main storage?

Bewen talking to the guys at Max-T who have suggested using Smoke over Infiniband to a HD!O Sledgehammer...

Can anyone/has anyone seen any advantages/disadvantages of this worklow?

Thanks.

*Production Studio Premium CS2 / *Combustion 3 / Mocha v1
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

Arturo Camacho
Re: Smoke 2008 - stoneless?
on Sep 28, 2007 at 12:27:24 am

i do believe that you cannot have a stoneless smoke. they still sell you the systems with the stones so that you have a set of disks where they can guarantee performance.

They do have an open file system in which you can work on other disks which are not the stones. Performance is very good, it all depends on the underlying infrastructure.

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
on Sep 28, 2007 at 4:24:29 pm

Smoke 2008 isn't out yet, so I can't test it yet. But we do have an XSan running at our office, and once 2008 comes out, I'll definitely try hooking it up for storage.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Sep 30, 2007 at 12:22:37 pm

But would you still use the Stones for main working storage? Surely direct fibre storage soley running one machine has faster access to multiple steams of HD than an infiniband connection attached to a larger shared network? Still not totally sure I get the workflow.

That said, I'm glad Autodesk are opening things up a little now.

*Production Studio Premium CS2 / *Combustion 3 / Mocha v1
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
on Oct 3, 2007 at 4:29:26 pm

Just talked with some people, and the word is that you can run the Smoke 2008, without local storage, and just use a SAN. I haven't heard if they are going to start selling systems without the local storage though.

All in all, Smoke 2008 has a lot to offer, and I'm really excited about it.

Return to posts index

Tom stuart
Re: Smoke Artists
on Nov 8, 2007 at 5:48:55 pm

Moody,

I have a client in Miami looking for a Smoke artist to work on a permalance assignment at a bi-coastal post house. Can you help by recommending someone?

Tom Stuart
home.work.people.com

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
on Nov 8, 2007 at 6:12:47 pm

Hi Tom,

I can't think of any freelancers I know of in the Miami area. I know some artists who are freelance, but they live in either in the LA area or the NY area.
If your interested, shoot me an email, and I'll get you some email addresses.

Moody
mutalib@sbcglobal.net

Return to posts index

BenR
by
on Nov 15, 2007 at 9:52:34 am

There aren't many Smoke artists, let alone freelance Smoke artists down here period. There is a gent I use from time to time... He was heading back to Chicago last we spoke; but he may still be in town. Feel free to shoot me an email and I'll be happy to give you his info.

Ben Rojas
Senior Editor | Artist
VTA FL
ben.rojas@vta.com
http://www.VTA.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]