FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quantel and Timemagic vs. Burn?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmybee500
Quantel and Timemagic vs. Burn?
on Sep 11, 2007 at 1:52:22 pm

Wondering if some of you Smoke users out there can throw any light on the selective/background rendering features in Smoke?

I've been talking to a producer we work with who recently did a couple of jobs on a Smoke and a Nitris DS down in London and was astounded at all the extra rendering that needed doing whenever the smallest thing was changed...on our old Quantel Editbox it's renders are layer independent and only re-renders the effect you've altered, not the entire layer stack in that section. I can't work out if the DS/Smoke guys down there were just not using the kit to full potential or whether this is a shortcoming of the gear? I know After Effects has to render the whole layer stack because of inter-tied things like parenting, blend modes and expressions..is this the same situation on Smoke/DS?

We're considering going down the Smoke route, but I am also curious as to how 'automated' and effective BURN is? I see Quantel's eQ has Timemagic which looks impressive. How do the 2 technolgies compare?

Does Burn if 'switched on' automatically render in the background and replace your footage in the timeline/DVE, etc when done or do you have to manually set it going and then save to fiel and pull back into your project?

I'd ask Autodesk/Quantel direct, but I knowq I'll get a load of biased bumpf and just wondered what users thought?

Thanks,
Jim.

*Production Studio Premium CS2 / *Combustion 3 / Mocha v1
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

BKM
Re: Quantel and Timemagic vs. Burn?
by
on Sep 11, 2007 at 4:04:58 pm

Smoke does have a tendancy to unrender things on the timeline when you make changes. But it really depends on how the edit and it's layers were created. Some things on the timeline can be better accomplished in the DVE, ie Multilayers compositions. And on the Linux Smokes, processing time is minimal for most things. Seconds to a few minutes.

Also, I wonder if these guys were using HISTORY on Smoke, which while things must reprocess "up the tree" it's very nice for making changes to a clip 6 layers deep with a combination of Text, CC, and Keys.

Regarding Burn, (which I don't have) You can process off the timeline or from the modules. It is all very transparent, and clips will appear on the desktop or timeline with "pending render". When they are done, that clip gets updated and you are free to use it as you wish.

Instead of hitting "process" (render) you hit "process Burn" which give you the freedom to continue working on your project.

BKM

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Sep 17, 2007 at 11:36:38 am

Thanks BKM,

So you can use burn for ALL of Smoke's modules/DVE, etc. now then?

*Production Studio Premium CS2 / *Combustion 3 / Mocha v1
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5 monitors / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

BKM
by
on Sep 17, 2007 at 12:05:05 pm

Yes... as of 2007 SP3.

BKM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]