FORUMS: list search recent posts

3:2 pulldown & TW

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Varangian
3:2 pulldown & TW
on Apr 29, 2007 at 10:54:17 pm

my workflow involves bringing in video, transfered from film with 3:2 pulldown.
I do allot of scaling, repositioning and timewarps on the clips in my 60i timeline.

In order to do this I move the clips to the desktop, remove the pulldown, do the TW and scaling/repo's, then add back pulldown, and re-insert into the timeline.
This workflow is a little clunky, I'd rather just keep it all on the timeline where I can see everything on context with all my supers etc. on above layers.

My question:

Since the new "motion" setting on the TW in smoke is so good, do I even need to add pulldown back onto the clips on my 60i timeline?

Since the whole purpose of adding pulldown it to get 5 frames of video from 3 frames of film, can't smoke's TW using motion do this even better and make 5 clean frames?

Return to posts index

cowcow
Del Holford
Re: 3:2 pulldown & TW
on Apr 30, 2007 at 3:08:37 pm

Hi
While it is possible (I've done it on occasion) to TW just on the timeline, it depends on how good the jitter frame is as to whether it works successfully. Since you are likely duplicating the added frame it will not always look good and cause a stutter in the TW. While clunky, your described workflow will most often give the best product.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Justin
on May 8, 2007 at 2:56:04 am

sorry if I am going slightly off topic - but can you tell me why you wouldn't have smoke remove the extra frames so you are working in a 24 frame TL instead of a 60i timeline?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I always assumed that you would bring the footage in wihtout the added frames, do 'your thing' then play it back out with added frames...

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Jun 15, 2007 at 6:04:32 pm

Also motion estimation if you have duplicated fields will not work
It will obviously "stutter" as there will be 1/5th of the fields using the same two frames, all motion estimation can do for you is an alternative to adding pulldown (going from 24 to 59.94 by interpolation as opposed to pulldown add)

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]