FORUMS: list search recent posts

IS it possible to export text out of Smoke?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin
IS it possible to export text out of Smoke?
on Apr 26, 2007 at 11:48:41 am

have been getting more & more requests for the contents of credit roles done in smoke, so was wondering if there was any way to export text out of smoke to a text file.

Or is there a way to copy the text out to a text document (ALT+X and pasting externally doesn't seem to work).

Thx.

Return to posts index

BKM
Re: IS it possible to export text out of Smoke?
by
on Apr 26, 2007 at 5:00:00 pm

I think you are out of luck. Sounds like a job for an intern.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Apr 26, 2007 at 5:12:42 pm

smoke is a unix system and the text files saved in the text modules contain all kinds of unnecessary information and are basically useless.

On the other hand, if you create the roll in Word or Wordpad as a simple text file and import it to smoke you achieve 2 objectives:
1 - you have a copy to send to clients and 2 - you don't have to retype all the names. After selected Roll/Crawl then select New Layer and then go to load and import the file. It will take on default attributes and typestyle, which of course you can change in smoke. HTH

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Justin
on Apr 27, 2007 at 11:33:19 am

That's actually what I do Del - I import from a text file. But as you may know, there are constant changes happening and while I do try and keep track, there are times when things just happen on the fly when clients are in...

Anyway, was just hoping - but i guess not.

thx for the responses..

Return to posts index

iago
by
on Apr 27, 2007 at 5:35:05 pm

instead of using alt-c (or x ) alt-v combination, try with manually highlighting your text with mouse and pasting with middle button.
It works to me.

HTH

L.

Return to posts index

Justin
on Apr 27, 2007 at 11:36:30 pm

that's only works within Smoke though right?

I am trying to copy from inside smoke and paste into another a text editor on linux...

(I'll try it when I go back to work)

Return to posts index

smokemd
on May 2, 2007 at 4:46:54 pm

Hey there Justin and everyone -

New to the forum, but a long time smoke artist. I just tried something that seems to work - at least in a Unix/Irix envoronment. It might be worth a quick try.

In the text module, try selecting all of your text -
then copy (gui or shortcut)-
then type: ALT+F9 to jump out to the Irix environment
open a shell, and create a new blank document (type: nedit)
then use the middle mouse button to paste to your document.

I don't think that the formatting will carry over, but at least the line breaks should.

Hope that helps a bit!

Michael
smoke 7.0.14/Tezro

Return to posts index

Justin
on May 7, 2007 at 8:53:23 am

thx for the suggestion... unfortunately it didn't work for me. I am using Smoke 2k in linux... so something might have changed...

alt+f9 doesnt work so I atl+tab'ed instead - but the only thing that pasted in that document was what I copied when I was in the linux environment.

Return to posts index

iago
by
on May 7, 2007 at 2:48:24 pm

try again, because i'm on linux systems too and it works to me (both flint and smoke).
I often needed to export text and never found troubles.

Highlight your text by holding the left button of the mouse, alt-f5 to switch to another desktop (or use the same if you want), create a new text doc and paste in with the middle button.
Done today and it's ok!

HTH

Return to posts index

Justin
on May 11, 2007 at 9:13:00 am

working now...

Took some fiddling - in the end I realised that if something in highlighted in linux, middle clicking with paste that as oppose to what was highlighted in smoke..

MUCH thx!!! this will save me a lot of work as it also works the other way - taking text into smoke.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]