FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Smoke Editor - Freelance Rates?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Burleson
OT: Smoke Editor - Freelance Rates?
on Mar 28, 2007 at 2:54:46 am

I got a call today asking me to work as a Freelance Smoke editor.
I have no idea what the going rate is for freelance work.
This would be in a small market.
Does anyone have a good idea of what a fair rate would be? Daily rate and Hourly rate?
I don't want to ask for too much and I don't want to screw myself either.

Thanks for your input!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Steve Sweik
Re: OT: Smoke Editor - Freelance Rates?
on Mar 28, 2007 at 2:44:38 pm

Randy,
How long have you been on the box? I would think your experience level will help dictate what your rate should be. Is this a one day only gig, or is it a project that will be ongoing? Be careful about underbidding yourself. Once somebody knows they can get you for a steal, you will most likely get stolen.
Good luck,
Steve

It's only 30 seconds, how hard can it be?

Return to posts index

Randy Burleson
on Mar 29, 2007 at 3:08:39 am

I wouldn't say that I was a Smoke expert by any means but I worked on Smoke for this company on a few projects about 5 years ago... WOW.
I didn't realize that it had been that long. That was probably the last time I worked on Smoke. I have been working on Avid and Final Cut Pro since then.
I would say my experience level then was 6 - 9 months and I am probably a little rusty and out of the loop on what changes have been made in the last 5 years.
I am sure I could pick it up again pretty quickly. ( I HOPE!)
Anyway....
they called me out of the blue and are wanting to put me on their list of freelance editors to call. I just need to know what is fair.

I think Freelance Avid editors are making anywhere between $45 and $60 per hour.

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Mar 29, 2007 at 7:16:56 pm

The fact that they called you means they have some confidence in you. I'd go on the low figure for Avid editors (and not bill for time you mess up in the session) until you get your confidence and experience up. Then you can feel good about charging the higher figure when you have that experience. Remember, as an editor the tools vary but your creativity and insight are what they are buying.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Steve Sweik
on Mar 30, 2007 at 1:54:58 pm

Thanks Del, for putting into words what I wanted to say.
~Steve

It's only 30 seconds, how hard can it be?

Return to posts index

Randy Burleson
on Apr 1, 2007 at 7:03:26 pm

So...
What are the going freelance rates in your area?
Hourly?
Daily?

I think freelance Avid editors are making between $45-$60 per hour.
$450 to $600 per 10 hour day.
Does that sound right?
How much more for an experienced Smoke Editor?

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Apr 2, 2007 at 9:14:13 pm

We're in ADI 28 and those rates are about right. Since there are only two smoke systems currently in the market those rates would be about the same as for an Avid editor. The hard part in this market is finding a freelance smoke editor. Lots of FCP and Avid editors. In the past we have used freelance editors and we've paid within that price range. One of the smoke editors we used is now exclusively FCP in his own shop. Another used to use smoke in a larger facility and quit to do FCP in his own shop as well. All the best.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
moodyglasgow
on Apr 4, 2007 at 5:28:05 pm

I thought I would throw my 2 cents in here...

I'm staff editor at a small post house in the Los Angeles area. I started as an Avid editor, became a Smoke Artist 2 years ago. My pay went up 25%. I'm in the range you quoted for a freelance Avid editor, plus I get full benefits and profit sharing.

In large markets, Smoke Artist's should be paid more then an Avid editor of EQUAL experience. Mainly its a supply vs. demand thing. Also, we bill out our Smoke at almost twice the rate of a Avid.

Anyways, I think freelance Smoke Artist's in LA start at around $750 a day, more depending on experience...

***NOTE*** You may of noted that I say Smoke Artist instead of Smoke Editor. There are many reasons for this. I get paid more to be an Artist. People are more impressed when you say you are an Artist. I can act like a raving lunatic, and say F*** YOU! I'm an Artist!!!!! :)

(Just my sense of humor)

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Rob Van
Four Wall
on Feb 26, 2009 at 1:14:35 am

2009 HD Flame four wall

Now available at BUTCHER editorial

http://www.butcheredit.com

Return to posts index

ravi reddy
on Feb 14, 2010 at 5:39:03 pm

Hi this is ravi, working as a smoke artist at primefocus world. may i know at present where you are working?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]