FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke Purchase

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcow
dscarry
Smoke Purchase
on Feb 27, 2007 at 8:27:04 pm

We're considering purchasing a Smoke 2007.

We're demoing it today and have been presented a price. I was wondering how our pricing compared to what other people have paid for similar systems.

Here is our quote:
Autodesk Smoke HD 2007 - $42,500
Workstation, monitor, memory, dvi ramp, video I/O, gige networking, graphics card - $29,000
Atto HBA 4 Port Kit - $3725
Tablet - $425
Autodesk Stone Direct - XR - 4 GB FC HW RAID Storage Chassis, 1752GB raw capacity, 1 cold spare, Stone FS license - $24,300

New Subscription for Smoke - $6000
Hotline technical support - $3000
Onsite installation - $2600
Training - onsite 3-days - $5650 plus travel and living expenses.

It totals $117,200. For whatever reason, I felt this was high. Can anyone provide any input?

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
Re: Smoke Purchase
on Feb 27, 2007 at 11:39:33 pm

Hmmm... Seems a little high. I don't have a direct comparison, since we bought our Smoke SD years ago, and just upgrade to Smoke 2k last month. Heres a quick break down:

Smoke SD linux (demo system)
- including 3 years support ($22k)
$85k

Upgrade to 2k version (hardware upgrade) $15k this might be a demo unit as well

Anyways, not exactly apple to apple here, since we opted for the higher level of support, but we saved a ton of money by buying a Demo system.

By the way things are itemized, I am assuming you are buying the system directly from Autodesk. What type of discount are they giving you? We got a couple of different discounts and also had the training thrown in for free. NAB is right around the corner, and they always have special NAB pricing. Also, do you need to buy the training? Do you have someone who knows how to run the system? If you are training someone who doesnt have any experience on the system, I would recomend the classroom training. Its a 5 day course and is cheaper then private training.

Finally, you can always try to get quotes from Autodesk resellers and see if you can get a better price.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Chris Hanson
on Mar 1, 2007 at 4:29:41 pm

I've just checked out a Feb 2005 "discreet" pricelist I got, back then smoke on Tezro was US$188K excluding storage, support etc !!
Your quote of $117K is about right off the new pricelist.
There is probably some leeway to neg on the software, but I'm guessing they won't budge much on the hardware costs ( maybe 10% or so). I don't know where you're based, but if you're in the UK, dont cut corners on the support fees, the guys in the London office are the best !
cheers
chris - south africa.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
jimmybee500
on Mar 2, 2007 at 3:08:51 pm

Hi DS,

I am in the UK, so don't know quite how Autodesk's prices differ to that over here. That sounds about right though from a quote we got last year which was a bit more than that (before they went HP/AJA hardware)

Tell me though (if you don't mind) were they specific about the hardware? ie: what processors are they using at the mo in the HD system? / how much RAM as standard / what kind of monitor & tablet / gfx card, etc? I am interested in the breakdown and how much they lay on top ;-) The Stone, software & support you obviously can't get anywhere else though I guess.

Also, the 'new subscription' - is that for support?

Sorry, more questions I know but we're still looking at our purchase options aswell!

Jim.

*Production Studio Premium / *Combustion 3
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
on Mar 2, 2007 at 4:13:26 pm

Hi Jim,
As a basic breakdown, the configs use AMD processors (not too sure what speed) 3 or 4 GB RAM, 24" Philips LCD monitor, QuadraFX5500 genlock graphics and you have a choice of Wacom tablet size.
Subscription is more than just software support, it's a 12 month contract that covers software support and version upgrades (not just .x upgrades but 1.0 to 2.0 type releases.)
There's a fair chunk of additional hardware included in the turnkey system so it's tough to get an comparitive price from individual vendors and just add it all up :-)
cheers
chris

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Mar 3, 2007 at 3:01:21 pm

Thanks Chris,

I was just interested to see what the spec is these days..the UK site seems to be behind all the time! I thought they were using 2 x dual Xeons in the HD system now, in a HP box. I wonder how soon before they pop 2 x Quad Xeons in there..I know I'll be getting them stuffed into my After Effects/3D machine with a an FX4500 and a ton of RAM :-)

*Production Studio Premium / *Combustion 3
-------------------------------------
Win XP Pro SP2 / Intel P4 3GHz / 2GB RAM / GeForce FX5200 / DeckLink Pro / Sony BVM-20G1E / DVS SDI Clipstation / 110GB boot/80GB media/600GB RAID-0

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
on Mar 3, 2007 at 3:56:15 pm

Actually, the latest hardware platform for the Smoke runs on a HP, using Xenons and the new AJA I/O card.

The AMD Opterons were used only on the IBM platform, and here in the US, they are only offering the HP systems for new systems.

As far as support goes, we have L3 support, which so far has been great. I don't the exact differences between support levels, but we have on site tech support, and it has been well worth it.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

mocablue
on Jun 10, 2007 at 4:55:28 pm

dscarry,

We have a barely used autodesk stone RAID system (and a smoke license aswell) and and would be happy to offer it to you at a much better price that they are being offered. If you would like to contact us about this system...at 212-201-0738

Claudia

Return to posts index

Andrzej Sikora
on Sep 23, 2008 at 1:06:26 pm

Dear People.
I' m interesting in purchasing used (I don't know exact english word - I' m Polish) edition yard/workstation (?)using in postproduction made by Discreet Smoke in 2007. It should be offered by some european animation or postproduction studio, or adapted to european environment.Anyone help?
Thank You for any help and excuse me my english.
Kind regards,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]