FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke Archiving Help

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spotcharlie
Smoke Archiving Help
on Dec 4, 2006 at 8:34:46 pm

So i've never had any "real" smoke training, just flying by the seat of my pants. It's come to the point of archiving. I select the Libraries I want to archive, I'm archiving to a Digi Beta. Put the time i want to start. Click Format, then name it and stuff. I don't see the "Archive" Button to Archive. I do see it if i format it then i hit close and then cancel the closing and then it says archive. Anyone tell me the right way to do this, i can't imagine i'm doing it right. Also is there a trick just to archive everything in the project. Thus far i've been making a separate clip lirbary putting all the clips and material from the project in there and archiving that library. So yeah any help would be awesome. Basically the correct precedure to archive and a tip for like "archive all material" type of this. I'm asking here because every source i find and tutorial shows you how to archive to disc, i'm archiving to tape. Thanks again for your time.

Return to posts index

BKM
Re: Smoke Archiving Help
by
on Dec 5, 2006 at 2:09:45 pm

I know what it's like to learn on the fly. Most of what you are doing is correct. After you format your tape, Smoke will open the archive and you will be looking at an empty library. Up in the left corner there is a blue popup button that says "archive" if you toggle this it will put you back into your project library. Then you will have your archive options at the bottom of the interface. Select your clips and archive as normal. What version of Smoke are you running? I think in some versions there is an "archive all libraries" function. You will still have to archive the setups as a file.

Helpful?

BKM

Return to posts index

spotcharlie
on Dec 5, 2006 at 4:30:06 pm

thanks a ton, i totally forgot about that button in the top left. total help. I"m running smoke 7 but have the update for 1.1 or whatever it is for smoke to handle xmls or something like that. that's another obstical to get over upgrading. the whole linux thing is a big mystery to me still. thanks a ton again. quick question to you or i might post to the forum, so if i animate some text and logos in the DVE and process that as a clip, is there a way to process out just an alpha matte, same with sparks. to process out a matte. i guess in my mind it makes more sense to do an animation then put that on a layer above the background video in the time line with an axis effect and a matte. i don't like the whole loading the background video into the dve or sparks thing. again learning as i go.

Return to posts index

BKM
by
on Dec 5, 2006 at 10:05:57 pm

The only way to output a matte from the DVE is to turn off the FRONT layers, so that all you are looking at is a matte. Depending on your mattes and what you have this will work, but you can se how you may have to adjust some tings, like shadows on/off.

Sparks don't render out mattes.. too bad, I know. But Sparks are usually your last step, they use the mattes from DVE and such that you rendered ouand work with the video that way.

PS. I am on IRIX, so I have no answers for any LINUX questions. Good luck.

PSS. The Smoke Forum is a better resource than the COW for Smoke help.

BKM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]