FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke and Editing Timebase Conversion

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alison Spray
Smoke and Editing Timebase Conversion
on Nov 28, 2006 at 8:04:42 pm

Hi,
I've never worked with Smoke but my current FCP project is going to be onlined on it. My offline editing timebase is 29.97 but we want to master to 23.98.

A Little Background:
16mm film shoot Xferred to:
HDCAM SR @ 23.98 for online
DVCPRo HD @ 59.94 (60i) for offline

Here's the Plan:
I'm going to do a FCP EDL (CMX 3600) take it into Cinema Tools and convert it to 23.98. Import that into Smoke and re-capture.

Anyone done this before? Someone told me you can skip the Cinmea Tools step because Smoke can actually do the timebase conversion - however they had never tried it. Anyone with experience there?

Any advice appreciated. TIA.

Return to posts index

stephane labrie
Re: Smoke and Editing Timebase Conversion
on Nov 29, 2006 at 11:48:19 am

Hi!

Some can take a 29.97 EDL and remove the film pulldown at capture time, so no need to convert the EDL to 23.97 before coming to smoke. Smoke expects the tape to have a pulldown phase starting at frame 0 (if it is not the case for some of your film reels, just edit this value in smoke, it is very easy to do). Most of the time, film transfers are done the right way so you would not have to worry about that. if you have access to telecine log (ALE, ATN or Flex) smoke can use them to remove pulldown, in the case of broken cadence.

Another way woul be to export an XML from FCP instead of EDL. That step would preerve lot of transitions and effects data. Look with the facilities which version of smoke they have to make sure thay have access to the version that can import FCP XML files. Smoke 2007 version (released last september) provides lot of metadata support from FCP.

Good luck in your project and let us know!

Return to posts index

Alison Spray
on Nov 29, 2006 at 2:33:17 pm

Thanks for your response. We are scheduled to do some tests next week. You've given me great info to launch a more informed conversation with our online editor. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks.

Return to posts index

steve997
on Nov 30, 2006 at 7:18:54 pm

Hi Alison,
I do this a lot of the time here in L.A.

Based on the info you have given, you will not have to do any pulldown removal.

The smoke op. will need to use a HD 23.98 project, import your 29.97 EDL, then use the "EDL CONVERSION" option and select "30 or 29.97 to 23.976fps" pulldown tab.

Simply load the edl and capture from the 23.976 HDCam SR tape. If his image is green/purple, he needs to select the 'no conversion' and 'dual serial' option as the tape is most likely recored as 4:4:4 RGB instead of 4:2:2 YCrCb.

If you supply him a 29.97 offline edit output from fcp, he can easily convert it to 24 for offline/online comparison as well.

Regards,
Steve Vojkovic
Asylum Visual Effects
Santa Monica USA

Return to posts index

Alison Spray
on Nov 30, 2006 at 7:39:10 pm

Steve,

Thank you for your reply! Between you and Stephane, the other poster who repsonded, I feel I can figure this out with the online guy. I'm going to forward this thread to him. Thanks again for your help and reassurance.
Cheers,
Alison

Return to posts index

Alison Spray
Re: Smoke and Editing Timebase Conversion *UPDATE*
on Dec 6, 2006 at 4:22:49 pm

HI,
Just wanted to post back and let you know that Smoke handled the timebase conversion great!

The sync was rock-on. No one frame off here or there as others in FCP forums warned me might happened. I was grateful to skip the Cinema Tools step. The Smoke editor had never done a timebase conversion before, appreciated this thread and the step-by-step you guys provided was our guide.

Knowing now that that technical hurdle is cleanly cleared, I can focus again on cutting the story. THANK-YOU!
Cheers,
Alison

Return to posts index

steve997
Re: Smoke and Editing Timebase Conversion *UPDATE*
on Dec 13, 2006 at 7:58:15 am

Hi Alison,
Great to hear that it all worked out...
Thanks for the update...
Regards,
Steve Vojkovic

Return to posts index