FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unix? is this for smoke or flame? i thought smoke was windows or linix based? can you run smoke or flame on a mac?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Nitkiewicz Hern
Unix? is this for smoke or flame? i thought smoke was windows or linix based? can you run smoke or flame on a mac?
on Nov 18, 2006 at 3:58:11 am

Is Unix ran on a mac? if somebody had to install a unix version of either smoke or flame, can it be done on a mac after porting? im a bit confused with all this terminology, i head you can run unix on a mac in the same way you can run windows on the mac,

would one be on the right track trying to install smoke on a mac like so?
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/Conceptual/PortingUnix/

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
Re: Unix? is this for smoke or flame? i thought smoke was windows or linix based? can you run smoke or flame on a mac?
on Nov 18, 2006 at 6:18:56 am

I will attempt to answer your questions... (and keep it simple)

Mac OSX is based on Unix. So in essence if you are running Mac OSX you are running unix with a nice GUI.
Smoke currently runs on both Unix and Linux based systems. (Linux is merely a version of Unix)
You cannot run Smoke or Flame on a Mac even if it had the right version of Linux or Unix installed, because Smoke and Flame require several cards to run the system.
I suppose it could be possible to buy a Smoke and rip all the cards out of the system and try and fit them in a Mac, but why would you? You still have to run the Smoke OS.

And thats the jist of it... you are better off buying combustion if you really want a Discreet compositing program to run on your Mac.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern
Re: Unix? is this for smoke or flame? i thought smoke was windows or linix based? can you run smoke or flame on a mac?
on Nov 18, 2006 at 6:48:21 am

apreciate it greatly, seems so much clearer now,

cherios,

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern

Return to posts index

ani_maniac
on Nov 19, 2006 at 8:44:14 pm

no u can't do this the unix versions of flame smoke etc. are made to run on sgi workstaion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]