FORUMS: list search recent posts

should I be disappointed..?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
justin
should I be disappointed..?
on Oct 24, 2006 at 5:13:10 am

OK first and foremost - I am so glad that our facility has purchased a smoke for us now - so don't think I'm a spoilt brat when you read this post :)...

I just got the specs of the machine and it is a 2x dual core 2ghz IBM system (IE AMD CPU not dual core xeons). Being a "crazy keep up to date with the latest hardware available freak", I Was soooo look forward to a HP Intel based system that I guess this has kind of been a let down...

So my Q is - are the NEWER intel based systems that much better than the AMDs? OR is there little difference between the two.

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
Re: should I be disappointed..?
on Oct 24, 2006 at 8:44:35 am

Hi Justin,
Don't take this as being gospel, but from what I've been told there is minimal improvement in performance on the newer HP boxes. Something to do with the software not currently taking advantage of the Xeons extra performance.
On the up side, the IBM configuration has been around for over a year so it's pretty robust. We supplied 3 of them last month and haven't heard a peep from the client. These HP / AJA combo's are brand new, and while Im sure Autodesk test them thoroughly, end-users will do things testers never consider and that's when things can go wrong :-)

Enjoy it !
cheers
chris

Return to posts index

Justin
on Oct 24, 2006 at 12:59:12 pm

VERY good response Chris, didn't even think about the stability side of things... one reason perhaps why this was purchased (the NEED for stability!!!)

I'm such a tech geeek - always want the newest thing...

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
on Oct 24, 2006 at 2:20:49 pm

Yeah, it's bad enough sitting in that "hero seat" when you've got an unpredictable, bad tempered client breathing down your neck. You don't need an unpredictable, bad tempered system making matters worse :-)
Sometimes "slow & steady wins the race" is the best approach.

cheers
chris.

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
on Oct 24, 2006 at 4:41:28 pm

I agree with Chris. Stability is always important when you have clients sitting behind you. That 10% increase in speed doesn't mean a whole lot when the system goes down. :( Thats why when we bought our system (almost 2 years old, we bought the hardware Raid option.
I know the new systems are supposed to be fast (2K system supposidly runs circles around a Fire on a Onyx 350), but like any other piece of softeware, it always a good idea to wait a few months untils the bugs get worked out.

BTW, Grats on the new system. I need to bug my boss more about upgrading our hardware... :)

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]