FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions about the new Smoke 2K on linux - can it play nonstandard RES in RT, twixtor speeds ...

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
justin
Questions about the new Smoke 2K on linux - can it play nonstandard RES in RT, twixtor speeds ...
on Oct 4, 2006 at 12:18:58 am

Hey all,

the company I work for is waiting on delivery of a new smoke 2k on linux - can you hear the excitement in my voice :). So while waiting, I'm trying to sort out workflows, time required for certain task etc.

Currenty the two questions I'm dying to find out is

1. will smoke playback non standard res - eg: 1920x1550 in RT
2. has anyone played around with twixtor on it? current smoke that we have takes 40minutes to do do a 110% speed change on a 5 second HD clip. So I would love to hear what you guys have to say.
3. ok there is a third...will I need twixtor for the new smoke2k? I heard the discreet have improved their speed change algorithm, but is it good enough to replace twixtor?

Thx in advance....

Justin

Return to posts index

steve997
Re: Questions about the new Smoke 2K on linux - can it play nonstandard RES in RT, twixtor speeds ...
on Oct 4, 2006 at 3:33:19 pm

Hi Justin,
The smoke2K linux is a huge step ahead of whatever you're on currently.
I'm pretty sure it will play those non standard resolutions realtime.

I take it you mean that motion estimation is what takes a long time to process as a progressive timewarp at any speed is practically realtime. If you use field interpolation it takes a few more seconds to process.

The motion estimation was improved for version 7 and it's a weird one to justify. I have had a few shots where it has totally saved the shot, yet at other times, it 'morphs' part of the image which then becomes unusable. However, this same bad behaviour we have also seen using plugins such as KRONOS as well, although in general KRONOS has beter ability due to more parameters than the standard Motion estimation tool. It appears some shots due to the random pixel movements do not lend themselves to motion estimation.

Regards,
Steve Vojkovic
Asylum VFX

Return to posts index

Justin
Re: Questions about the new Smoke 2K on linux - can it play nonstandard RES in RT, twixtor speeds ...
on Oct 4, 2006 at 11:47:37 pm

Thx for the response Steve.

Have you tried twixtor? do you find Kronos better?

Sorry one mroe Q - does the linux box support ESATA (basically sata)/USB/FIREWIRE out of the box...

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Oct 6, 2006 at 2:20:16 am

It's going to be faster then that on Linux (except for IO) but this is a very compute intensive task.
FYI if the task is not to measure relative speed vs your IRIX box, in that case 111% you could use Nearest mode without seeing the difference. Blend mode is to avoid any little perceivable jumps when you make a few frames per frame.

Also I thought the Motion Estimation based timewarper was only in IFF.

Pierre
RE:Vision Effects

Return to posts index

steve997
on Oct 6, 2006 at 6:39:31 am

Hi,
We have 12 flame/infernos and 1 smoke and the fx guys all prefer KRONOS, mind you not many have tried Twixtor.

The linux boxes I believe support external firewire drives but not SATA... it's a linux driver issue I guess.

Regards,
Steve

Return to posts index

Justin
on Oct 7, 2006 at 1:43:14 pm

thx again for the response guys.

Pierre - on v4.51 on the IRIX - I have been using energy weighted (I have no experience and am simply using what was there when the spark module opened) - speed changes are constant ranging from 50-150%. Would you suggest simply using blend?

the difference between smoke 6.5's warper and twixtor seems huge so v7 will have to have been improved quite a bit for me to not ask my employer to purchase twixtor (kronos is out of the Q as it is part of the furnace package which costs too much - unfortunately as the other modules seem like they could save a huge amount of time).

Also thx again Steve - at least fire is good - was hoping to get some ESATA drives to quicken up data transfers (we do a lot of dumping files out to drives for clients). o well they can wait i guess...

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Oct 11, 2006 at 5:18:32 am

Energy Weighted only seems to help a bit on things like fast aerial shots sort of things (very constant "planar" motion), so yes just use Blend, it will be faster without side effects. Since we do estimate motion using a pair of images, from Frame A to Frame B and From Frame B to Frame A, it's supposed to try to figure out that one way is better then the other and weight it more but it's usually expensive for nothing to compute. It was more useful "camouflage" back when the tracking was not as accurate.

Also,I was just saying that when you speed up you can revert to "Nearest" Mode which will be much faster to render (almost two times faster).

Pierre
RE:Vision Effects

Return to posts index

Justin
on Oct 12, 2006 at 12:25:01 pm

Thank you again Pierre - machine has been delayed - sigh ...eheh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]