FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke: Locking Libraries and the dreaded "upres"

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
natzdagirl
Smoke: Locking Libraries and the dreaded "upres"
on Sep 28, 2006 at 5:00:05 pm

2 questions

1 - My libraries are locking on me - a pain in the arse - I have no idea how or why - what do i need to know/do to prevent this....

2 - I have a client who has SD material - he wants to "upres" to 1080i - i told him it'll look like crap, but he wants to see it - is this possible in Smoke??

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
Re: Smoke: Locking Libraries and the dreaded "upres"
on Sep 28, 2006 at 6:31:36 pm

Hi,
First, before I can answer your questions, its helpful to know what software and hardware you running your Smoke on.
1. Are you getting a Database Lock when starting up Smoke?
2. Assuming you have an HD smoke (and even if you dont depending on what version of Smoke you have) Yes it is possible to uprez SD footage to HD.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

natzdagirl
on Sep 28, 2006 at 7:40:45 pm

I am running Discreet Smoke 6.7.2 - on a tezro - yes, HD

As for a Database Lock - I am new to all this, so you'll need to explain or point me to a article to explain this. I just know that at times I can access libraries and others I can't - when using Xstoner, I also have this problem.

Return to posts index

steve997
on Sep 28, 2006 at 8:43:43 pm

Hi,
The libraries can be 'locked' for a number of reasons. If another flame or smoke is accessing your libraries via WIRE networking, you library becomes READ-ONLY (ie. you can view it and load clips from it but not SAVE clips to it). This may be the same case with X-stoner.
If X-stoner or another system has crashed whilst viewing your library, then the library is still 'flagged' as being seen by others and so remains 'locked'. If you're handy with IRIX, you nede to access the usr/discreet/clip/stonefs// and look for teh project you're working on and enter it. You will see a number of files and one filename will end with '@lock' You eed to delete this file and your library will again become available to WRITE to.

As for the SD to HD upres. You need to enter the RESIZE module in smoke. Enter the VIDEO menu then click on RESIZE with the clip you need. You'll end up with a split screen. The left is your source (SD) and the right is your destination (HD). You then need to select the sixze (1920x1080 HD 1080) and to the right of this menu select either LETTERBOX or CROP EDGES depending on what framing you want.
When you are uprezing you need to have BICUBIC turned on (for downrezing you want QUALITY). Hit PROCESS and see how you go.

Regards,

Steve Vojkovic
Asylum VFX Santa Monica

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]