FORUMS: list search recent posts

imminent revisions to Smoke HD system?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmybee500
imminent revisions to Smoke HD system?
on Jul 28, 2006 at 2:32:03 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if Autodesk plan to bring out a 64bit version of Smoke HD anytime soon? Just wondering if it's worth holding out for that - is there a 3GB RAM limit on the current 32bit one?

We obviously want to get the most futureproof, powerful and scalable system HD possible. Don't think we can stretch to the 2K one!

If anyone has any news on imminent upgrades/revisions to the system it'd be much appreciated!
I can't get much info other than on the Autodesk site and most Smoke forums are closed to non-owners.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
Re: imminent revisions to Smoke HD system?
on Jul 28, 2006 at 7:51:53 pm

I little bird told me that there are new systems coming out in the next few months.
Have you tried calling a Autodesk sales rep? They should be able to answer your questions.

moody glasgow
smoke artist / editor

Return to posts index

digitalfx
on Jul 29, 2006 at 12:54:58 am

We just ordered a 2K Smoke yesterday...would love to know more about this rumor.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Jul 29, 2006 at 12:31:12 pm

Thanks, I'll mention it to my boss. It was more a speculative question really, I'm in graphics myself. I know we're upgrading our kit soon, but didn't want my boss jumping in if there are rumours of new things abound...I imagine Autodesk would keep quite about new upcoming models in a transitional period, so they can get rid of old stock? ;-)

While I'm here, does anyone know what advantages there would be purchasing a Discreet Stone RAID system, as oppossed to going for Apple XSAN/Xserve RAID?...I mean, with a view to using it as a shared store for Smoke, an FCP suite and a couple of mac-based GFX stations running Combustion/AFX/3D, etc?

Will some functionality be lost if a non-discreet data store is in place? We were told that as Smoke now runs on Linux that Macs as GFX stations and an XServe RAID would be the best solution..Linux being so close to OSX's OS.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Arturo Camacho
on Aug 3, 2006 at 6:21:14 am

You still need at least a stone for the smoke. Xraid seems like a good solution based on cost. You might want to have Xstoner with the xsan, so that the transfers between the stone and the san are easier to handle. Xstoner will give you direct access to the stone which will save you some time importing and exporting.

Digital Logic -- Mexico
------------------------------
Certified Flame & Smoke Instructor
Demo, Support & Training
arturocdl@digitlogic.net

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Jul 31, 2006 at 8:27:48 pm

smoke and fire became 64 bit with version 7 (currently we operate 7.0.11).
We have an Onyx2 for fire and an Octane2 for smoke. Both have 3 GB RAM (now the minimum) but both will take up to 8 GB, although that's a costly proposition on the SGI systems. On Linux, it's far less costly. The timeline workflow has been massaged in this release so it operates far more quickly than in past releases. On about 50% full drives an axis render takes about half the time of version 6. Similar performance with color correction. Gap effects help out a great deal as well and render fairly quickly, depending on what you keyframe and what those keyframes cause to happen. Sparks were upgraded to 64 bit (Sapphire 3.0) at no cost.
smoke HD for broadcast (8 bit video) is less expensive than smoke DI, which now handles 2K files at 10 bit. HTH

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS2
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Aug 1, 2006 at 10:33:30 am

Thanks for the info, wish we could afford the DI version, but we don't handle enough film work to make it pay for itself.

What I was asking was whether there are any plans to make the HD system (on Linux) 64-bit in the near future?..as it is currently 32, and limited to 8-bit video.
I my other concern was whether there is a 3GB limit on 32-bit, as per most 32-bit apps? We'd want to crank our Smoke to the max where possible, as it would be our main suite.

Thanks for all your help Smoke peeps!

Return to posts index

digitalfx
on Aug 1, 2006 at 1:56:54 pm

Actually the HD version is 10 bit.
See: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7118116

The main difference between HD and 2k is the additional output card for Dual Link 4:4:4, and dual core processors. The HD version uses single core and only supports 4:2:2 output. I believe they both have 4GB ram.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Aug 1, 2006 at 4:49:23 pm

Hmm..interesting. Looking at the specs in the US vs. UK (where I am based) it seems you guys get a higher specced machine..either that or Autodesk UK are being lazy upgrading their website!?

UK specs link here: http://www.autodesk.co.uk/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=452932&id=5655815
(Look at bottom of PDF link)

Return to posts index

Arturo Camacho
on Aug 3, 2006 at 6:29:18 am

He's right, that's basically the only difference, so it might be that they haven't updated the web page. HD smoke right now, can handle 10 bit. New configs can be purchased with disks that have 4 GB connection. Think that right now only 2 GB connection is supported but newer versions will be able to handle 4 GB which will mean playback in realtime for higher resolutions.

Digital Logic -- Mexico
------------------------------
Certified Flame & Smoke Instructor
Demo, Support & Training
arturocdl@digitlogic.net

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Aug 3, 2006 at 9:06:26 am

Great, thanks for the help guys.

When you say 2 / 4GB connection - do you mean RAM? You can upgrade the RAM to 4GB on the HD smoke?

I guess what I'm asking essentially is, is it worth waiting for a 64-bit HD Smoke, and if so how long? Are we going to see a noticeable improvement in speed/productivity for editing & compositing uncompressed 4:2:2 1080 HD footage over the current 32-bit system?

Also, we may *occasionally* get film-res (2k) jobs. Would they be totally unworkable on the HD smoke?

I know, I should be asking Autodesk all this, but as I'm online and if you guys know?...Much appreciated anyway.

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
on Aug 3, 2006 at 12:30:08 pm

Hi,
The 4GB Arturo refers to is the throughput on the stone storage arrays. (Currently 2Gigabit, increasing to 4Gigabit in the near future.) It seems means you can move more data from the stones in realtime. I think the current smoke is already shipping with 4Gigabit storage but the Q-Logic controller cards in the IBM are only 2Gigabit controllers so you'd need to upgrade the controllers once Autodesk certify which ones work :-)
Doing 2K in the HD smoke wouldn't be a nightmare once you've got the media on disk. A bit sluggish perhaps and you wouldn't want to get bogged down with too many layers, but still very workable.
cheers
chris - south africa.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Aug 3, 2006 at 1:53:52 pm

Cheers guys..Most helpful. I'll pass this info on, thanks.

Return to posts index

jimmybee500
on Aug 25, 2006 at 6:42:14 am

Seems the new HD version is going to be 64-bit afterall and 10-bit internal processing. (See news on main page)

Questions is, do Autodesk let you change over the I/O board on the HD system so you can ingest/output 4:4:4? Since it internally handles 4:4:4 you'd think you should be able to take it in at that quality too..

Looking good though, glad we waited! It seems the UK site is still stuck on specs from over a year ago! Come on UK sort it out!!

Return to posts index

digitalfx
on Aug 26, 2006 at 3:27:40 pm

4:4:4 is only available on the 2K Smoke. It uses to dual core processors and the DVS daughter card. The HD Smoke does not have the daughter card to allow Dual Link HDSDI i/o

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]