Need to supply client with elements??

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcow
Not a Smoke operator!
Need to supply client with elements??
on Feb 24, 2006 at 11:38:03 am

Hi

I need a bit of help understanding how Smoke projects work. I do not use Smoke, but I need to supply a client with all the elements from a past project so they can make revisions elsewhere, and I don't have a Smoke operator. I have a Smoke archive digi reel with all the visual elements from the project. It also has grey fuzzy stuff (sorry, I don't know what it's called!) on the reel which I am told is data/metadata relating to the project??

What I want to know is if I supply the client with everything that is on this archive tape, is this enough for them to make revisions in another Smoke suite? Or do I need to provide project information in another form, like an edl or something similar?

Also, with the fuzzy stuff on the archive reel - does the stuff at the head of the elements relate to them, or the fuzzy stuff at the tail of them?

Thanks to anyone who can help out this dummy!!!

Return to posts index

BKM
Re: Need to supply client with elements??
by
on Feb 24, 2006 at 7:57:41 pm

What you have on tape is an ARCHIVE from a Smoke. At the start of the tape will be a grey slate with type that should tell you what version of Smoke was used for that project. (Helpful to tell the editor)

The "fuzzy" stuff is metadata and encoded audio. The video that follows is a collage of shots that may or not be in any logical order or complete clips depending on how the archive was made. (compact or normal)

You should be able to provide the tape to a Smoke operator witht a digibeta and he/she should be able to unarchive it.

Hopefully it has the completed edited spot, as well as some extra parts for graphics if there are any.

Ideally, there should be a data file on CD/DVD that would have the setups for the project... this would contain the setup info for TEXT files, and DVE, CC, etc. (If the porject contained any.)

But the tape will get them going.

BKM

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Not a Smoke operator!
on Feb 26, 2006 at 4:30:09 am

Thanks so much for that...Just wondering if you could tell me what the process is for getting the setup info?

If it's fairly straightfoward i should be able to find someone who could do it, just need a bit more details on where to go in the program. Thanks heaps

Return to posts index

BKM
by
on Mar 1, 2006 at 5:47:32 pm

In Smoke you can Archive the Setups in the same place that the video was archived. Switch it from Clips to Setups. It will .tar the file and then you can transfer it and burn it on a cd or DVD.

BKm

Return to posts index

moodyglasgow
on Feb 26, 2006 at 6:59:55 am

Just make sure the smoke you are moving the project to can read the archive. For example, Smoke 7.0 added history to the mix, and so if you archive a project that has that history, a smoke that is running a version Pre-version 7, then it will most likely not open.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]