FORUMS: list search recent posts

New SMOKE Linux - RAID security issue

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anshul Doshi
New SMOKE Linux - RAID security issue
on Jan 23, 2006 at 11:48:08 am

Hi

We have just installed at our studios in Mumbai, new smokes on Linux, for advertisement post production. Earlier we had somkes on SGI Octanes. SGI Octanes had the option for doing a software based raid 3 protection for material on the stone. Now Discreet Claims that with the LINUX operating system, there is no such option and therefore the STONE is actually just a JBOD and if we require raid partition we would have to buy a seperate card to enable raid protection.

Does anyone have a clue as to which card can be bought and how much will it cost

Does anyone know if there is any drivers available for Linux to do software raid level 3 or 5 protection for the stone.

Thanks guys

Anshul Doshi
Prime Focus Limited
India

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
Re: New SMOKE Linux - RAID security issue
on Jan 24, 2006 at 7:58:21 am

Hi Anshul,
All I can tell you is that the Linux systems have the option of either JBOD storage or Hardware Raid when shipped by Autodesk M&E. I don't know if it's possible to convert JBOD to hardware RAID just by adding a card.

Regards
chris.

Return to posts index

Anshul Doshi
on Jan 24, 2006 at 8:20:02 am

I spoke to the local autodesk office in Mumbai today and they have told me the following:

We have to purchase an Upgrade kit from 2x IRxx to IRxx-HR, 2Gb Fibre Channel Technology only. For installed stone upgrades only.

However on the phone they told me that it is only a card which needs to be added, so I am quite keen to know if there is any third party card available in the market for the same.

Thanks and Regards
Anshul Doshi

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Chris Hanson
on Jan 24, 2006 at 8:47:27 am

Hi,
Yep, you're right. There is an upgrade kit and it appears to be a hardware raid controller card that fits inside your existing stone chassis. It's about US$13K but I can't find any mention of any specific model.
cheers
chris.

Return to posts index

Anshul Doshi
on Jan 24, 2006 at 9:15:23 am

Hi,

yes that is correct. that is the price I have just been quoted. I am only wanting to know if the same is available outside of Autodesk, as based on my converstaions with them, they said it is both firmware and hardware, and it is not possible to RAID the same, without them giving the firmware

Return to posts index

cow
Chris Hanson
on Jan 24, 2006 at 9:48:37 am

I would imagine it's a 3rd party "over the counter" kind of card and you might save a few dollars if you can track one down. (Autodesk aren't in the business of makng hardware) But the stone file system might throw you a curve ball ! I would rather go with your local smoke reseller and get it done properly, besides if you start changing your configuration yourself it might void your warrenty or support.

cheers
chris

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jan 25, 2006 at 5:33:46 pm

$ 13,000 for a hardware raid on a set of stones?

Lovely.

Return to posts index

Anshul Doshi
on Jan 26, 2006 at 7:45:42 am

The autodesk guys are fleecing. to think that they conned us into selling a jbod with a smoke - and now asking for USD 13000 for upgrade to raid

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
on Jan 26, 2006 at 2:40:33 pm

I guess it does seem a bit steep ! I think we were all hoping the Linux systems to be better priced than the IRIX systems when in actual fact, the need for hardware raided storage makes them even more expensive :-(
Still, I wouldn't want to be in a client session, lose one disk and the whole thing grinds to a halt. It must be a Linux issue, not an Autodesk one though and it'll probably change in time.
cheers
chris

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Mar 10, 2006 at 5:38:21 pm

I just bought a 1.6 Terabyte Dual Raid (no problem if a disk goes out)
fibre channel setup that can playback anything you throw at it up to
1080P 4:4:4 and it costs a total of $ 8,000

The real wake up call for discreet will be when apple releases the ultimate edition of final cut that will be able to deal with 2k and 4k in realtime.

Flame and Fire have some real competition (price performance) coming.

Return to posts index

Robert K
on Mar 22, 2006 at 1:24:53 am

Hi All,

First off you cannot add off the shelf hardware raid controllers to the stone, they are Autodesk specific. Why you might ask, becuase I am the development manager for infrastructure @ autodesk.

Secondly your point is made with regards to the price and preformance. all I can say is this has been addressed, more at NAB.

Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]