FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing up files in Smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DJ Jones
Backing up files in Smoke
on Nov 16, 2005 at 10:26:47 pm

Hi,

I'm new to smoke and I'm concerned about backing up data. What files and folders should I be backing up regularly? So far I have only been backing up the projects folder once a week. We have an octane2, stone+wire and smoke 6.7.3.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Arturo Camacho
Re: Backing up files in Smoke
on Nov 18, 2005 at 4:40:15 am

What you can do is make a Setups archive for each of your projects (though it's the same as backing up your project directory, it just keeps them more organized i guess). And well of course archiving (to tape or to file). I would go for file archives, they're faster, and multi-res, the only problem is you need a big disk for that.
You might also want to back up OTOC files, (think they're on the archive folder) so you have like a "backup" of the header for the archives you make. In case you have problems reading the header (from tape mostly) of the archive.

Regards,

Arturo.

Digital Logic -- Mexico
------------------------------
Demo, Support & Training
arturocdl@digitlogic.net

Return to posts index

BKM
by
on Nov 18, 2005 at 12:30:00 pm

The ETC folder, it contains your network info and will save you lots of time if you need to wipe your drive and reload IRIX.

It's either in /usr/discreet/etc or /usr/etc. .tar the whole folder and then you can save it to a floppy.. because if you loose your network, a floppy or a CD is all you will have.

Also, you may wan to back up your licences.

/usr/local/flexlm/licenses

maybe /usr/discreet/fonts if you have loaded soome custom fonts.

BKM

Return to posts index

DJ Jones
on Nov 19, 2005 at 12:43:35 am

Thanks for the responses. Right now I tar the project, archive, and user/editing folders and gzip them to another pc. How often are you backing up projects and files just in case of a drive failure? Some admins have also told me that they clone drives every so often just in case the main drive fails. Is anyone else doing this? I'm just looking for some other backup methods and strategies. Thanks.

Return to posts index

BKM
by
on Nov 19, 2005 at 9:36:57 pm

Well.. being in broadcast... and doing mainly station work, we don't really archive a whole lot. Some special projects like graphics and design stuff. And some commercial work we do... but mainly the project sits on the system till it airs and then we delete it.

We haven't had a system drive failure. Running 2 years now.

BKM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]