how fast can i learn smoke??

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
romy marx
how fast can i learn smoke??
on Oct 28, 2005 at 3:07:35 pm

hi;

i know combustion very well..
and here in my work they will buy smoke system..
so i wanna know how fast can i learn smoke?&will my exceperince in combustion&sapphiere&tinderbox plugins will help me to manage it fast?

thanx
Romy

Return to posts index

Arturo Camacho
Re: how fast can i learn smoke??
on Oct 29, 2005 at 2:54:37 pm

Knowing combustion will only help you be familiar with some modules like the colour correct, the tracker, and the keyer; as well with the main concepts of compositing.

It's a good start but the smoke's interface and the way of working is completely different. Not to mention that in the end smoke is an editor, so if you've never edited before you'll have to get the hang of that too.

You won't be able to make a quick jump from combustion to smoke. I would suggest as always lots of practice, and if they're buying the system, they should also consider the fundamentals training (seems like a wise investment). There are some smoke resources on discreet's webpage here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=5725846

These will give you an idea of how the interface works.

The time it will take you to use smoke at it's full capacity will depend on the time you're able to practice with it.

So again, it's practice (did i say that already? :)) and the fundamentals training seems like the thing to do, considering the investment you've already made on the system.

Regards.

Arturo.

Digital Logic -- Mexico
------------------------------
Demo, Support & Training
arturocdl@digitlogic.net

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Nov 1, 2005 at 4:35:44 pm

Arturo is correct (again :)) but I'd add that I went from edit* with combustion to smoke and fire and if you know combustion, you should be able to pick up smoke fairly easily (if you practice :)).
I was a linear editor before edit* and then went to smoke/fire when the rooms were finished. It took me a year or so to get totally comfortable and figure the most efficient workflow. Since you know Sapphire and Tinderbox you sort of know the end before the beginning. Sparks on smoke/fire were the last area I learned after becoming thoroughly familiar with the smoke/fire interface.

If you think you can do it, you can. Don't be afraid to jump on smoke and go thru the tutorial ( I think they have one on v7 again - Arturo?). If the software doesn't come with one the v7 online new features will explain how things work on several modules and practice will help you integrate those with you workflow on smoke as a whole.

Good luck!

Del

Return to posts index

Arturo Camacho
on Nov 5, 2005 at 4:41:19 am

Hi,
I'm not sure about the tutorials, last time i heard version 7 came with them, but haven't actually seen them. Also heard that they might release them afterwards, so in other words im not really sure. :)
Working with Combustion will help you out getting the hang of the DVE and all (at least its easier than let's say Action in flame), but the whole gestural way things work in smoke might throw you off balance at first.
Like Del says, don't be afraid to jump on smoke and practice a lot. I would estimate that a good 3 months will take you to be up and running in smoke if you practice constantly.
Will try to find out about the tutorials.
Best regards,

Arturo

Digital Logic -- Mexico
------------------------------
Demo, Support & Training
arturocdl@digitlogic.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]