FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions about Flame ?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
usama kamil
Questions about Flame ?
on Oct 11, 2005 at 10:27:56 pm

Hi

I am an after effects user for about 5 years & I am certified expert in after effects 6,

& I am opening now a new company in Middle East

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Questions about Flame ?
on Oct 12, 2005 at 12:50:39 pm

Media and Entertainment Reseller

CADD Emirates Computer Trading L.L.C.
Suite no. 401
Bank Melli Iran Building
Dubai 50640
United Arab Emirates

This Autodesk Media & Entertainment office in your area can help you find someone who can answer your questions.

After Effects can export projects to smoke using image sequences (sgi, tif, tga) or quicktime, avi or wmp formats. Flame is 10 bit and very expensive for doing HD and higher resolution film projects.
It would be much more powerful and versatile than AE but probably more than you need if you are shooting on the Sony HDW-750p. Flint is intended for 8 bit projects and is also very powerful. It's target user is the broadcast user. smoke is the edit software and does compositing but is more suited to editing.

When you find someone nearby who can give you the location of advanced systems products, they will be able to demonstrate AME Discreet products but you have to filter out the salestalk and apply it to your needs.

Del

Return to posts index

Beorn Leonard
Re: Questions about Flame ?
on Apr 6, 2006 at 7:56:17 am

I'm a user of both after effects and flint, currently working at a TV station in Australia. We also have a smoke.
I really like the flint and use it all the time, but have to say this...
Flint and After effects do NOT perform the same tasks equally.
Flint is brilliant and will do a lot of what you're doing now in after effects. In a lot of cases it will even do it better.
However, when it comes to things like text animations (even simple write-ons), among other things, after effects is far ahead of Flint. Discreet sold the flint system to us for the purpose of doing animations for news, and while it's good for some tasks, we mainly end up using after effects. We use the flint for production work instead, where it shines, especially for compositing jobs.

So, talk to the discreet people, but when they tell you that flint/flame can do anything that after effects can, DON'T BELIEVE THEM! It's just sales talk.

Horses for courses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]