Usama k alsharqi
yara media service
dubai - uae

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
Re: Flint vs Flame
on Sep 23, 2005 at 9:02:08 am

Hi Usama,
The flint & flame software is virually identical in terms of features and toolset except that flame has a 3D tracker which flint doesnt.
The main differences are based on the hardware, and what that hardware allows you to do. flame on sgi can do SD/HD/2K in realtime at 8/10/12bit depth. flint on IBM is limited to SD/HD at 8 bit depth.
As for HD cameras, the rest of the cow will hve to help with that one :-)

cheers
chris
touchvision - south africa

Return to posts index

Del Holford
Re: Flint vs Flame
on Sep 23, 2005 at 12:44:00 pm

You can go to http://www.autodesk.com and click on "media and entertainment" to bring up the Discreet products.
That will show you what platforms these systems work on. Both systems work on Unix based computers made by Silicon Graphics and are somewhat more expensive than your basic PC/Mac based systems. They have just begun to be released in 64 bit so you can use all the memory you can stuff into the computer. They have a very extensive toolset which may take a while to fully appreciate and use.

RE: the camera.
If you are exclusively shooting video for medical purposes in HD, a Grass Valley or Sony camera that shoots at 1080i should be sufficient. If you need film-like qualities then Panasonic and Sony have cameras more suited to your needs. We have the Sony HDW-700 which is now the HDW-730 and are quite satisfied. Whe have Grass Valley LDK-6000s in our studio and they look very nice as well.
HTH
Del

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
Re: Flint vs Flame beg to differ
on Sep 23, 2005 at 2:47:39 pm

Hi Del,
Don't want to get all bent out of shape over petty details here but the latest release of flint no longer runs on sgi unix boxes. flint is still a 32bit app although the IBM hardware discreet use is 64bit so there's definitely a plan to move flint to 64bit, just no timeframe being mentioned right now.
cheers
chris.

Return to posts index

Arturo Camacho
on Sep 23, 2005 at 6:14:02 pm

Another module that the flint doesn't have that the Flame does is the Modular Keyer. As Chris mentioned flame runs on an SGI Tezro, while flint runs on an IBM i think dual core Opterons. One is 64 bits, the other 32 bits. One can handle 8,10 and 12, the other just 8 bits. Flame has keycode support, flint doesn't. One running in Irix, the other one uses Linux.

One good point about the Flint is that you can hook up firewire and usb devices, on flame you can't (at least not directly).

Regards

Arturo.

Digital Logic -- Mexico
------------------------------
Demo, Support & Training
arturocdl@digitlogic.net

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Sep 27, 2005 at 1:06:39 pm

Thanks for the correction. I was speaking too generically. As you say, there is a plan afoot to move the software to 64 bit but not all products are there yet. smoke/fire got there and they're what I use but I shouldn't have implied flint was there. I didn't mean to and I'll try to be more precise.
Thanks again.
Del

Return to posts index

Chris Hanson
on Sep 30, 2005 at 12:21:54 pm

Hi Del,
No worries. When you consider that flint & flame are so close in terms of the toolset, it's not easy for people to differentiate between the two. Especially when Autodesk/discreet tend to market flame as a visual effects & compositing station, while much of the flint marketing focuses on broadcast and motion graphics.
cheers
chris.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]