FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke Vs After Fx

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GSingh
Smoke Vs After Fx
on Aug 6, 2005 at 4:24:48 pm

Hi,

I'm both new to Smoke and to the forum, so forgive me if I ask something silly or make a fool of myself :-)

A little abt my background... I was a NLE editor editing feature shows and have now migrated to finishing promos on the Smoke recently.

I would be grateful if you could point some key advantages on working on Smoke than on AE.

A few of my queries are :-

1. Is compositing better and easier to do on Smoke or AE?
2. Can I do more value addition on AE or smoke?
3. Are some features like masking etc.. easy to do on Smoke or AE.

Any other features/advantages/Pluses are gladly welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Gursimran

Return to posts index

BKM
Re: Smoke Vs After Fx
by
on Aug 8, 2005 at 4:37:02 pm

You are comparing Apples to Oranges.

AE is a motion graphics effects compositing program.
Smoke is a video edit system with some compositing effects.

AE blows Smoke away as a motion graphics design/compositing tool (with the right plugins) Smoke blows AE away as a video edit system, not to mention it is a realtime system and is a finishing box.

Use each as each project demands.
BKM

Return to posts index

Patrick Hausler
Re: Smoke Vs After Fx
on Aug 9, 2005 at 7:54:53 am

That's not all completely true. It is true that After Effects is much stronger with most motion graphics tasks, but smoke's masking/roto abilities, plus the sheer speed of the system make After Effects look like a turtle on even the fastest systems. smoke has much more extensive math operations abilities than After Effects. Not only that, but you can integrate true 3D geometry into your smoke compositions whereas the closest thing in After Effects fakes it by importing some geometry, and then turning it into a flat layer. Once you learn how to work with smoke's DVE in conjunction with some good sparks you can do almost anything you can do in After Effects with a lot more interactivity, especially at HD and film resolutions. It's not quite as flexible as AE however, and will require a bit more planning when putting together shots.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]