FORUMS: list search recent posts

A couple of questions from a new smoke user

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier
A couple of questions from a new smoke user
on Jul 22, 2005 at 8:59:02 am

Hello,

I'm both new to smoke and to the Cow, so forgive me if I ask something silly or make a fool of myself :-) First a bit of background:

Our facility just got a smoke 6.7.2 on Linux as a much needed replacement for our old (yet much liked) Discreet Edit* system. It was VERY tough selling smoke to our management to say the least, as the company is very Avid-oriented and our engineers wanted to go with a nitris DS instead (the fact that Discreet killed Edit* didn't help our case either--we've had so much grief over that from management and our engineering staff). But I suppose we just screamed so loud that, in the end, they grudgingly caved in if only to shut us up. So now all eyes are on us to see just what we're going to create with smoke. God forbid that something goes wrong with the system or it doesn't live up to its promise, as heads are going to roll at our facility...

Anyway, my questions are:
1) Are there any available "how to" books or materials on smoke other than the user manuals? I logged onto Discreet's documentation section and the few tutorials they offer are for very specific tasks and are rather outdated as far as software versions go. I believe our system was supposed to ship with a tutorial preinstalled, but for some reason our vendor "had to nuke the tutorial", as they put it, so we have no real reference. (We included a 5-day training class with the purchase of the system, but that won't happen till September or later, due to schedule and workload issues).

2) I've been following along the manual for a couple of days now (just getting acquainted with the interface and such--no real projects yet) and I seemed to have bumped into something a bit concerning... Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but the manual seems to indicate up to 50 levels of undo within the EditDesk (which is fine), but only 1 level of undo within the modules. I tried going into Paint adding some brush strokes to a piece of footage and, indeed it would seem like I can only undo the very last stroke. Is there some sort of "undo list" within the modules that I'm missing, or do they only offer the 1 undo listed in the manuals (which seem to be from version 6 or 6.5, not 6.7.2). If this is the case, then I'd say this is a critical issue Discreet should address ASAP. It would suck having to restart a particular Paint or CC effect from the begining because you no longer like the changes you made just 5 or 6 clicks ago...

Thanks in advance for your insight, and sorry for the length of this post. I'll try to keep things more concise in the future.

Regards,

Javier B.

Return to posts index

Patrick Hausler
Re: A couple of questions from a new smoke user
on Jul 22, 2005 at 8:38:22 pm

Ya, discreet got rid of the tutorials...BIG MISTAKE. Unfortunately, you're pretty much jacked on learning materials and such until your training. You're just gonna have to ask lots of questions on the web forums, and spend lots of late nights learning this thing. The undo thing is a shame as well, and I don't get why it's not been addressed. All that being said, I still think smoke is the best thing that happened to us, and DS doesn't even come close IMHO.

Return to posts index

angus
on Jul 25, 2005 at 8:58:39 am

Hi Patrick,

Any idea as to why the tut's were bined? our Smoke delivery is iminent and I was kind of looking forward to getting my teeth into them. The C* tut's are excelent

Angus

Return to posts index

Patrick Hausler
on Jul 26, 2005 at 7:22:23 pm

Actually, it was announced yesterday that discreet will be releasing courseware for smoke/fire this fall. There are a number of new lessons on their website as well. Call your reseller for more info.

Return to posts index

angus
on Jul 27, 2005 at 12:08:51 pm

Hi Patrick,

Actually guys from our reseller (XTFX London) have been on site for the last couple of days installing our new Linux HD Smoke and we noticed the new courseware this morning. Everything looks great and I can't wait to get cracking with it. Thanks for all your helpfully advice

regards

Angus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]