FORUMS: list search recent posts

no edl only film on dv is it logical to go on smoke ?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sanyukta
no edl only film on dv is it logical to go on smoke ?
on Jul 20, 2005 at 12:02:43 pm

i was workign on this film... beta film ... we finished the edit and then fcp crashed and even the time lead us to such a situation we could not even upgrade it to 8 bit ... we dont even have the rushes or edl ... anyway now i want to take this on smoke solely to get some upgradation happening...
i wanted to know if it would make any difference ?
here are the details ...
* its just a dv tape of the entire film ...
*will taking it on smoke make any difference on the resolution... if so how much percent ...
is it even worth taking it on smoke ... ?
what would be most logical to do .... or just let it be ... ?
thanx
sanyukta

Return to posts index

BKM
Re: no edl only film on dv is it logical to go on smoke ?
by
on Jul 21, 2005 at 2:57:29 am

ummm. if it's just video on a DV tape.. digitizing it into Smoke will not help it any. Infact, you will have to get to it a 601 input to Smoke from your DV player, so you may lose quality as opposed to something that can firewire it in. (another FCP)

IS their still editing to be done oon the film?

BKM

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: no edl only film on dv is it logical to go on smoke ?
on Aug 3, 2005 at 8:30:54 am

I've tried this out. As BKM suggested, if you use a camcorder to feed the DV to smoke, you'll have to use Composite out to amoke which will in fact lower the quality of the video. On the other hand if you use a deck like a DSR 45 you will be able to output component or with a DSR 1800 even SDI into smoke.

However there will be no improvement over capturing to FCP via Firewire. Most of the "perceived" improvement really happens, or appears to happen because most smoke suites have a calibrated and rather large Broadcast monitors while most FCP suites use a small PVM monitor or a TV set.

If you have the opportunity to work at a place that has an identical monitor in the FCP suite as well as the smoke suite, capture a bit of your stuff to both systems and see for yourself.

Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]