FORUMS: list search recent posts

faking a stone?

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry Zektser
faking a stone?
on Jun 23, 2005 at 4:34:14 am

So at the risk of sounding like a shady hax0r... we just picked up an octane with smoke on ebay, and the stone setup is DOA (the SAN switch, to be exact, I think the drives are OK, they seem to spin up anyway). Im working on sourcing a new one, but in the meantime, Im trying to get a leg up on figuring out irix and smoke, having alot of linux experience, but none with SGIs (and never discreet stuff).

So, the question is, can I take a spare Ultra320 drive i have laying around and somehow format it with stonefs? Or just bypass stone completely? I dont care if I cant render, or do much, If I can load the UI and play around, ill be happy...

Ive tried googling and searching through the docs I've found, but nothing seems to point me in the right direction. Been playing with the utilities in /usr/discreet/io, but the guys we bought from included no docs, and I'm pretty well stuck.

Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

iago
Re: faking a stone?
by
on Jun 23, 2005 at 8:53:33 am

You can bypass the stone and start the application without storage
in init.cfg (type dlcfg or jot init.cfg) there's a framestore "chapter".
you have to put a flag on stonefs option and choice system disk (or other device) option.
It's really a very long time i don't do this, now i don't remember all the steps correctly but this should be the right heading for you.
Hope this helps
L.

Return to posts index

Henry Zektser
on Jun 23, 2005 at 11:26:49 am

You mean where I have ;
FrameStore stonefs
I should have something else? Do you know of a doc or something? I cant find anything...

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jun 23, 2005 at 7:00:27 pm

Henry,

What version of smoke do you have? I can assist you with your drive configuration, and I might have PDF manuals that I can send you. If you'd like help, please feel free to contact me at:

alanokey@artificialhorizonpost.com

-Alan

Return to posts index

Henry Zektser
on Jun 24, 2005 at 3:05:20 am

Turns out its actually flame 9 that I have.. I assume they all work the same or close to it though..

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Jun 24, 2005 at 2:24:30 pm

while it may cost a little, you might want to inform Montreal of your purchase and get your system certified. having their tech support, especially on a complex system like flame, will really help you get through a lot of issues.
Del

Return to posts index

Dave Stein
on Sep 3, 2005 at 6:04:27 am

Hi Henry(all), did you get a solution to this problem? believe it or not im in the same situation, but I cant get the Flame to start without the stone attached, which I wont have for a while. How did you edit the config to use a local drive framestore?
thanks in advance if anyone can help with this!
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]