FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fixing flicker in Smoke

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Brown
Fixing flicker in Smoke
on Jun 21, 2005 at 6:57:23 pm

My director went to Egypt and shot on a Panasonic DVX100, NTCS, at 29.98 fps. The scene was indoors and since the lighting there is 50 mhz, there is a flicker on the footage that de-interlacing and applying the flicker filter will not take care of. Are there any low-budget solutions to this problem? I have applied several fliters (solarlize, posterize, gamma correction), but results are subpar. Can anything be done in After Effects? A post house quoted us a price to fix it and it was about $1000 an hour to fix. I am editing in FCP, but don't really care what program fixes it. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Matthew Brown
Re: Fixing flicker in Smoke
on Jun 21, 2005 at 6:59:38 pm

I meant can anything be done in Smoke. Or anywhere, for that matter.

Return to posts index

Arturo Camacho
on Jun 23, 2005 at 4:21:06 am

Hmmm, i don't know what's your budget but having tried the Furnace plugins from The Foundry i can say that they're pretty good, and one of them is used for removing flicker. Used that deflicker the other day and it definitely rocks! I believe they cost around 6,600 dollars the whole box, but they include some other plugins, all of them pretty good. You might want to download an evaluation version, i think they send you a 3 day license so you can test them out.

Hope it helps.

Arturo

Digital Logic -- Mexico
------------------------------
Demo, Support & Training
arturocdl@digitlogic.net

Return to posts index

Omar Colocci
on Dec 4, 2005 at 3:29:58 am

If the flickering you refer to is based on luminosity cyclic variations, you can try to animate a color corrector setup trying to minimize the problem and, once you find the timing for the next flick, set an extra keyframe and put that channel to cycle. If you got lost because I was too brief, let me know. :)

You can also experiment with average to make it smoother if the camera/target motion allows you to, otherwise it would get everything too blurred.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]