FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing noise in live events

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
Removing noise in live events
on Jan 18, 2018 at 4:12:46 am

Please pardon me if this sounds very basic. I'm very new to this. I recently bought a Behringer Xenyx X1204USB desk. I watched some videos on how to "gain stage," and that made me push the gain up to get decent volume levels on some microphones and other audio sources. With some gain knobs at 2 o'clock, noise (hiss) is very noticeable. Is there a way (or is there a device) that will allow me to push the gains up while suppressing the hiss? I'm using balanced XLR cables on the mics. I'll use this for live events (with both online and on-location audience) so I'm not looking for post-production techniques. Thanks in advance. God bless!

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: Removing noise in live events
on Jan 24, 2018 at 4:46:08 pm

What you are questioning is commonly referred to as "gain structure". While absolutely essential for analog equipment, the new generation of digital components can reduce the impact of a poorly tuned system with it's resultant "hiss". Analog or digital equipment though, the rules still apply. Here is an excellent article and instructions from Front of House magazine. This will help tremendously.

http://www.fohonline.com/current-issue/74-tech-feature/10445-back-to-basics...

Hope this helps.

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Jan 24, 2018 at 8:46:47 pm

I believe that board is actually an analog board so the rules for gain and noise floor apply.

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jan 24, 2018 at 9:22:58 pm

Thanks Jim. Yes, it is analog. I thought that analog and digital are equal in terms of noise so I went on and bought an analog desk. My requirements were affordability, portability, and a least 1 pre-fader aux send. The Behringer x1204USB fits easily in my backpack, is affordable and has two aux sends (aux 1 is switchable pre or post; aux 2 is post-fader only).

By the way, this desk has a USB interface option to make the communication from PC to desk digital. This, I believe, also helps in minimizing the hiss. However, I won't be going that direction because I need also to mix-minus on most projects and it's not possible in USB mode for this desk.

I will check out the link that you sent.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]