FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colors and Compression for huge LED wall visuals (avoiding banding and general ugliness)

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lori Lin
Colors and Compression for huge LED wall visuals (avoiding banding and general ugliness)
on Sep 19, 2017 at 10:09:15 am

Hi all!

Anybody here with experience creating motion graphics for huge LED walls? How do you deal with banding and blockiness in the darks?

We just had a big event with loads of video on a ginormous LED wall. It all looked great except for the darker videos...there was quite a bit of banding there. I'd like to improve that for the next time we do this. Are there any general guidelines about levels, compression, colors, etc. that I should keep in mind for next time?

Cheers,
Lori

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Colors and Compression for huge LED wall visuals (avoiding banding and general ugliness)
on Sep 21, 2017 at 6:07:51 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Sep 21, 2017 at 6:08:52 pm

Was the gamma on the LED wall possibly not set properly?

As was as the graphics design goes, make sure to keep away from single color gradients, add a little bit of a secondary color to ramps.
Second, add noise to gradients to keep banding at a minimum. In After Effects, that would be the grain effect.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Colors and Compression for huge LED wall visuals (avoiding banding and general ugliness)
on Sep 21, 2017 at 9:31:28 pm

Edit everything in 10 bit.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]