FORUMS: list search recent posts

Acoustics in a warehouse?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Stafford
Acoustics in a warehouse?
on Aug 31, 2017 at 11:01:04 pm

My brother and I are planning to open a blackbox studio space in his warehouse. The purpose of the blackbox studio is to let artists perform live, record TV shows, etc... I am now helping him to research and get as much advice as possible regarding the acoustics. His warehouse is about 7500 sq. feet with a height of appr. 8,5 meters. The issue is that the warehouse walls are very thin and I believe they are made out of a metal-like material.

How can we turn this warehouse space into a proper facilitated studio. I've attached two pictures of the studio itself. We will paint everything in black.

The floor is basic concrete. What should we most definitely improve, what materials should we use? Are curtains an option? Please advice. I've also attached a picture of the desired outcome (except for the tribunes). We'd really like to know what the minimum budget should be to properly design the acoustics...

The images seemed not to appear in this post so here are the links...

Warehouse 1

Warehouse 2

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Acoustics in a warehouse?
on Sep 29, 2017 at 2:55:01 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Sep 29, 2017 at 6:25:00 pm

To get what you're asking for, you're going to have to build acoustically-dampened walls and ceilings inside the existing structure, and a silent HVAC system. And a lighting grid with supporting power lines and controls. You're not saving any money. Also, you're showing what I call: "build it and they will come syndrome". You're customizing a space before you have a customer. How do you know what someone is going to want or need? Are they just going to be doing green screen FX work and stunts in there? What kind of sets will be constructed? By whom, and with what? I don't mean to rain on your parade, but let's be practical here for a second.
This is not a space that can cheaply be treated for good sound, and you want to spend thousands to prep a space with no obvious customers waiting to use it? Do you even have a list of local producers and what they need in such a facility? Doesn't sound like a good business decision to me.

What *might* be useful in a warehouse like this is to construct a few generic sets that stand-in for places film makers have a hard time getting access to in the real world: generic hospitals, banks, schools, airline interiors, stuff like that. Then soundproof around those sets, not the whole warehouse. But even then, you shouldn't be spending a dime until you have some paying customers lined up to use the resource.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved