FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live projection: how to remove onscreen data?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Harding
Live projection: how to remove onscreen data?
on Aug 28, 2017 at 10:40:06 pm

I'm going to be doing some live puppetry visuals during a friend's concert. So I want to connect a camera to a projector so I can project live video onto a screen in real time. Seems simple, right?

Well I tried connecting my Nikon D3100 (the only camera I have) to the venue's projector with A/V cables. It works great, except there's no way to get rid of all this "helpful" informational crap on the screen.

I just want the live footage itself, no extra crap. But from what I've been able to find out, there's no way to turn it off. Especially that lovely red square in the centre, even if I set it to manual focus. The man at the camera store and all the Googling I've been able to do says there's just no way.

I can zoom in on the projector, which eliminates the info at the top and bottom of the screen. It's not ideal, but it works. It's mostly just that damn red square.

One idea I had was to make the red square really small, and move it way up out of the way. I have to zoom in the image on the projector anyway to eliminate the text on the edges, and that should push the red square off the edge as well.

But what I'd really like to do is get rid of the onscreen data altogether. One other thought I had was to get some kind of switcher software or tethering software, and feed the footage through my computer before sending it to the projector. But none of those programs seem to accept live view from a D3100.

I'm out of ideas. But I can't believe that this is such a weird thing to want to do that there's no way at all to do it.

Any thoughts at all?

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Live projection: how to remove onscreen data?
on Aug 29, 2017 at 5:11:35 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Aug 29, 2017 at 7:42:02 pm

Hi Grant,

Unfortunately, it's definitely not a camera designed for any kind of live shoot.
I've never played with this model, but usually, the info button will cycle through the on screen data and eventually get rid of most of it.

Otherwise, go through the menu/manual and look for Live View settings

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Aug 29, 2017 at 5:12:26 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Aug 29, 2017 at 7:41:43 pm

Duplicate

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Aug 30, 2017 at 3:09:04 pm

Atomos makes external recorders for DSLR cameras and I often refer to their Supported Cameras list for reference. Supported means the camera has a CLEAN HDMI output. They list the D3200 and D3300, but not D3100. Quite possible that Nikon did not offer "clean output" on the D3100, but here is the D3200 link and instructions -

https://www.atomos.com/cameras/nikon-d3200

Please note: It is not possible to record beyond 30min on Nikon cameras. Please press "Info" button to enable HDMI clean out. When recording internally to the SD card, output changes to 720p out. "PAL" output for recording not possible. 1080 24p cannot be output over HDMI. Also note that the internal recording can be different to the external recording - the user needs to set the internal and external recording mode independently.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Grant Harding
on Sep 11, 2017 at 6:21:20 pm

Thanks everybody. Cycling through with the Info button does get rid of some info, but by no means all of it.

Every live view software I've found only works with the D3200 and higher. It must just be a limitation of the camera.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]