FORUMS: list search recent posts

Go out of HD switcher into DVD player

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Franklin
Go out of HD switcher into DVD player
on Mar 8, 2017 at 8:27:15 pm

I have a fairly basic question and I think I have an idea for the answer, but I want to see what you all's thoughts are.

I just purchased a Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio Production Switcher and it has SDI outs and HDMI outs. I need to go into my DVD recorder to be able to record DVDs, but the recorder's inputs are composite RCA. What do think is the best way to convert SDI to RCA?

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: Go out of HD switcher into DVD player
on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:16:59 pm

You have a couple of issues here. Your SDI or HDMI outputs out of the switcher ia high definition only. The RCA inputs on your dvd are SD (standard definition) only. These two will not speak to each other without external conversion.

The easiest way is to get an HDMI to SD downconverter that has the necessary connectors to allow you to do this. I have used the Blackmagic Design Mini Converter UpDownCross Converter to do this. You have to adapt the cables to RCA style to get the audio in.

The second issue is that by definition DVD is not HD in terms of quality so expect a downgrade. You cannot buy a DVD recorder that will accept digital inputs directly (SDI or HDMI) due to HDCP (content Protection). The only way to record a blue ray disc in original HD resolution is through a computer generated DVD.

Hope this helps.

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 9, 2017 at 2:51:22 pm

You can actually use the less-expensive Black Magic Mini Converter - SDI to ANALOG model (#CONVMASA) which will provide the down-converted composite output for the DVD recorder.

Also, the UpDownCross has SDI input - Black Magic does not make an HDMI to Analog converter.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Mar 9, 2017 at 7:42:05 pm

Forgot about the little converter having composite on it. That should do it just fine. He will need adapters for cabling and that should do it.

Thanks Jeff

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA

Return to posts index

Chris Franklin
on Mar 9, 2017 at 8:11:51 pm

Thanks guys. I'll look into these suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]