FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicamera Sports Event Equipment

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Puddle
Multicamera Sports Event Equipment
on Mar 2, 2017 at 3:05:38 pm

Hello everyone!

So I'm a video producer that normally deals with 1 - 2 camera shoots for online promotional content, sometimes dipping into studio work if the client needs it. I've been doing this for around 5 years now, but then last week a friend of a friend asked me if I would be interested in branching out into a live shoot which would be broadcast online. I have little to no experience with filming a multicamera event that needs to be streamed live, but it is a challenge I would love to get stuck into and would open up a whole new side to the industry, so here I am doing some research... so here are my queries :

The set up is a martial arts fighting ring with a 3 camera set up, 2 locked off and one roaming which I will need to switch between. I need to include playback of replays of the action in the fight intervals, and there will also need to be commentary added to the broadcast before it goes online. On top of this we'll need a n out put that goes to the house screens with the action, which can also cut to images of the sponsors.

Here's a list of the equipment I've looked into so far, so I'm looking to know generally if this set up would do the job (specifically would the replay kit work with the Video Switcher, and err generally how they work...) and any other advice around how long it would take to set up and derig, and what kind of crew it would take to make it work :

Roland V-800HD Multi-Format Video Switcher

Roland VC-30HD (Web stream)

Instant Replay REPLAY-4 4-Channel Instant Replay Kit

Mackie Mix12FX 12 Channel Mixer

Laptop

Monitors

3 x Camera Panasonic HC-X1E 4K (Tripods and Shoulder rigs)

That's the bulk of it, minus headphones and cabling and such. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rory

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Multicamera Sports Event Equipment
on Mar 3, 2017 at 9:14:07 pm

Hi Rory,

I think it mostly depends on how high end you want to get. While the switching gear will work, the cameras probably won't.

And again, I'm thinking low end broadcast level, but at the bare minimum, you'll want servo zoom and focus on the handles, high quality tripods to go with them, and finally a large viewfinder that will support peaking, since focus is critical.
Trying to shoot a sports game with handle zoom would be a nightmare for any camera op. If this is broadcast, you'll probably want a studio config with remote shading.

I would say at the very minimum, look at this camera with a studio kit: https://tinyurl.com/jshsm9s

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 6, 2017 at 7:58:13 pm

Hi Rory,

You may want to check out the Newtek TriCaster Mini. This will offer, in one small unit that fits into a backpack:

4-camera (HDMI) HD switching, with broadcast transitions (make your own even)
2 NDI inputs (for computer sources)
2 internal video players
2 graphics/title players
2 downstream keyers with position/scale
Live Web Streaming
Recording of up to 4 video sources in full HD quality
Multiple configurable outputs to feed monitors and projectors
Keying/Virtual Sets
4 M/E channels (for custom switching/compositing)
Internal sound mixer
Functions controllable by macros via keyboard shortcuts, iPad, Midi or USB controllers

Out of the box, the Mini can do instant replay from 1 camera source. If you add the Advanced Edition software upgrade, you can get replays from 4 cameras. AE adds over 100 new features, many to do with automation.

The question is, do you want a whole bunch of kit to set up, one one box to plug in and go to work with?

Similar in features is the vMix Pro software, which can be installed into your own Core i7 computer system along with appropriate capture card hardware as needed. Also provides multi-cam replay features and recording, titling, streaming, video and graphics playback. Has a 60-day free trial (fully functioning), check it out.

Either of these options is more flexible and powerful than the old-school methodology of buying separate switcher, recorder modules, a titler, streaming encoder, video player and so forth and interconnecting all of them. Probably a lot less money as well!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Mar 9, 2017 at 9:06:09 pm

You may want to rethink your camera selection. I would use SDI instead of HDMI as you can run it more reliably for greater distances and it will not come unplugged as you are moving around with one of the cameras. The camera you suggested will only do HDMI.

Jeff makes an excellent suggestion. Just get the SDI model.

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA

Return to posts index

Rory Puddle
on Mar 16, 2017 at 5:46:41 pm

Amazing - thanks for the feedback everyone. I had not even considered the idea of having a SDI over HDMI due to the reliability. I will definitely be looking into different cameras. It's good to know that all the switching and replay gear should work together too.

It does lead me onto one more question; I'm worried the internet at the venue will not be able to deliver a reliable upstream with so many people probably using the wifi. Do you request a different internet connection, I've considered the use of dongles but I can imagine that would be even less reliable.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Rory

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Apr 5, 2017 at 3:22:19 pm

You might want to check out the new Black Magic Design ATEM Television Studio HD. It will run by itself or run off of a laptop interface. Pretty nice features for not a lot of $$$. Very portable and easy to set up as well.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Antony Warnes
on Sep 18, 2017 at 2:40:30 pm

Would e interested to know if you worked out your internet streaming issues. Have the same problem with an upcoming shoot and probably event less budget. Had hoped to find a way to bond a couple of domestic pay as you go 4G wifi routers together.

Return to posts index

Rory Puddle
on Sep 19, 2017 at 7:53:30 pm

Hi Antony, me and the client still haven't actually got around to implementing this project yet - still waiting to iron out the details and set it up! You might find some luck with the other guys in the thread though. If you figure it out let us know!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]