FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording Powerpoint presentations FROM Mac laptop to external recorder

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ondera
Recording Powerpoint presentations FROM Mac laptop to external recorder
on Nov 4, 2016 at 4:31:57 am

How do I best record a Powerpoint presentation FROM a Mac laptop, not into it, and into my KiPro?

I tried taking an HDMI out directly into a KiPro and it did not work. My understanding is that HDMI cable detects a recorder and stops the process. The HDMI out shows on the projector just fine though. The KiPro sees it as a signal mismatch.

I was thinking of splitting the HDMI then taking one end to a VGA converter (this place only has VGA going to the projector) and then using something like the Ezcap 280 Video Capture HDMI/YPbPr Recorder. But this looks like a Windows device to me. Is there a Mac version out there?

I feel like I am kluging a bunch of stuff together. Because I don't want to bother the presenters about recording onto the laptop they use for the presentations, I'd like to record the PPT presentations off to the side on a video recorder. As well I'd like to get 1080p.

Any help is appreciated. There may be many ways to do this and I'd like to find the most inexpensive way.

Greg Ondera
Plexus.tv
Surgical Video Production Coast to Coast

Return to posts index

Matt Geiser
Re: Recording Powerpoint presentations FROM Mac laptop to external recorder
on Nov 4, 2016 at 12:12:29 pm

HDMI on a KiPro will only see valid video resolutions. 720p, 1080i59.94, etc.. I'd try 1280x720p since the projector should see that as well over VGA. There still may be other pitfalls there so if it still doesn't work just get a BlackMagic Micro Convertor HDMI to SDI ($85) and go into the KiPro that way.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1247783&gclid=CNi6w...

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Nov 4, 2016 at 3:58:45 pm

Thanks! I will try that and let you know how it works.

Greg Ondera
Plexus.tv

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Nov 4, 2016 at 5:30:46 pm

We see this problem quite often. The Mac is not outputting a "TV" signal that the KiPro is looking for. In you Mac go to Preferences, Display, and then do the hidden key sequence that Apple does not tell you about.

"Hold down Alt when click the 'Scaled' button when choosing resolutions..." You will then be able to select 1080i, 720p, to 480i and other video resolutions.

Hope this helps

Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Nov 7, 2016 at 2:20:34 pm

A friend turned me onto SwitchResX from http://www.madrau.com/ Provides independent screen res control. Only $15. While I have not gone into a KiPro, I have gone into other switchers that have limited input resolutions.

Steve

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Nov 8, 2016 at 10:20:31 pm

Fabulous! Thanks! So I was still having trouble taking HDMI into the Ki Pro and it turns out I also had SDI audio engaged. It was giving me the signal mismatch message. It needs analog audio or the same HDMI audio. Also it works only in 720p (1280x720) with the Ki Pro I'm afraid. That seems a little weird.

Greg Ondera
Plexus.tv

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Nov 9, 2016 at 12:49:29 pm

I did a little testing this morning. Macbook Pro OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, DataVideo SE-1200 switcher, cheap HDMI monitor.

The resolutions options are are available on the external monitor as soon as you plug in the cable (your KiPro in this case). Actually, plugging in the HDMI, gave me ONLY video resolutions, and doing the option+scaled gives you non-video resolutions.

The resolution settings are displayed on that 2nd monitor, but if there is a mismatch, you wont' see an image or maybe a distorted image, and you may not be able to mouse to the resolution you desire. The case for SwitchRezX is that it is on your main computer screen and you can switch resolutions until you get one that works.

(while using SwitchResX)I have come out of both the HDMI and with a thunderbolt-to-hdmi cable with success.

Quitting SwitchResX and going back to Apple Display settings, all 3 monitors show up, display correctly and they are now mirrored from the desktop, but it held the video output resolutions on the 2 outputs. Unclicking mirroring, the display settings panels now jump to their respective monitors. This is OK since the resolutions held. Had they defaulted, you'd be back to the (possible) inability to see the see the settings box.

OpenOffice Presentation (I don't have PPT on this MAC): Both outputs can be connected and you can choose which output to use. Choosing ALL sent output to only 1 output and a 4x3 presentation was right-justified in a 16x9 frame. I'm having a brain fart and can't seem to figure out how to make a 16x9 presentation in OpenOffice, don't know how that might look when choosing ALL. Choosing either external output worked fine.

Playback Pro: Can only output to a single external monitor, so both outputs can't physically be connected simultaneously.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Nov 9, 2016 at 12:54:32 pm

Read this thread on the cow to see the images that don't appear in the email.

I thought you can edit messages, but can't find that either right now.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]