FORUMS: list search recent posts

Add thought bubbles and graphic elements to live audience projection.

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Bach
Add thought bubbles and graphic elements to live audience projection.
on Oct 31, 2016 at 3:06:38 am

I'm looking for a way to add comedic thought bubbles, hats, hearts or other effects to audience members that our pre-show cameraman focuses on as they sweep the audience. Kinda like a Kiss-Cam at a sports event or plug-ins for video messaging to add a beard, hat ,etc.

Ideally, it would be something the camera operator could do and control. It could be a hot-key set up to choose certain effects for maybe a dozen situations.

If there was an app that I could run through our camera (HDV Sony HVR-Z7U) that could add this, it would be perfect. Maybe it will require a switcher and keying the phone images, but if it could reside on a pad or phone, it would be very simple to have the camera operator select the ones they need.

Any thoughts on existing software, apps, or other method to achieve this? I'd rather not buy a ton of hardware to achieve this effect if it can be done another way.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Add thought bubbles and graphic elements to live audience projection.
on Nov 1, 2016 at 12:02:03 am

Hi Charles,

As long as you don't want any tracking it could be as simple as making a bunch of Powerpoint or Keynote slides, you can easily add pop animations. You'll definitely need a switcher / operator and keying capability.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Charles Bach
on Nov 1, 2016 at 4:08:52 am

Hi Vince,

I came to the same solution after researching what I could find that was similar. The Keynote/Powerpoint is a good suggestion.

The Roland V-1HD switcher seems to be compact and good for this, but has a $1K price point. Is there a small sized switcher that might fit the bill for a lower price?

Thanks so much for your response and ideas.

Best,
Charles

Charles Bach

creating Wonders and experiences through the art of magic. http://www.charlesbach.com

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Nov 3, 2016 at 3:22:58 am

Hi Charles,

You're probably not going to find anything cheaper, although HDMI means you have to convert everything to SDI for anything over 30'. Another option is the ATEM switcher.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Charles Bach
on Nov 3, 2016 at 3:31:39 am

Hi Vince,

Thanks a lot for the confirmation. I like the Roland switcher and may be able to put it to use in other ways to justify the investment.

Best 2U!

Charles Bach

creating Wonders and experiences through the art of magic. http://www.charlesbach.com

Return to posts index

Charles Bach
on Nov 27, 2016 at 5:30:35 am

Hi Vince,

Your tracking comment in the reply got me thinking, and playing with ideas. I love the idea of crowns, funny hats, and things attached to heads.

I was able to use a phone with Snapchat lenses pointed at the monitor for my video camera and get it to create tracking with the people. It's a very low-tech, sloppy way of doing it, but it does work.

You don't happen to know another software solution or other way that might be smoother or cleaner?

Thanks for your insight.

Best regards,
Charles

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
on Nov 3, 2016 at 6:21:11 pm

It looks like Videologix Proteus II is a dedicated graphic overlay piece of hardware which might work for you too... I really know nothing about it other than what I just read online.

I used to use a dedicated device like that for SD video to overlay graphics and it worked well, and the camera op could fade or cut the graphic up and down.

A switch solution will absolutely work -- I use BMD ATEM hardware and it's worked out very well for us. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]