FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless live feed

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Schuette
Wireless live feed
on Sep 30, 2016 at 12:36:40 am

I was wondering what kind of wireless solutions there are that would allow a handheld video feed to be sent around 200 feet or so. I would like to transmit from a small camera such as a GoPro, phone or something in that size range that would mount on one of the handheld gimble stabalizers. The goal is to send the feed to projections screens for an event. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Wireless live feed
on Oct 1, 2016 at 3:34:25 pm

Hi Kurt,

You could look at the Teradek Bolt. http://teradek.com/collections/bolt-family

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Kurt Schuette
on Oct 13, 2016 at 4:23:11 am

Vince,

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting. I'll do some more research on that.

Kurt

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
on Nov 3, 2016 at 6:10:42 pm

It does seem that that Teredek products are most-used, reliable and flexible -- they also come with a high price tag.

Depending on your budget/needs there may be other options.

We've used the Aries Wireless Pro for two years -- it has worked *very well*... most of the time. In two venues, however, there must have been a frequency conflict because either it wouldn't connect or more often we were getting intermittent drop-outs which made it unreliable for the live switch. The transmitter is powered by USB power, so any portable USB charger/power unit can power it, along with a mobile GoPro (unless there is A/C power nearby in which case that works too).

Return to posts index

Wharton Howell
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:30:39 pm

I actually found this forum specifically to find information about this exact sort of thing.

I work at a concert venue where we broadcast live video of the performances. We have mounted cameras around the venue, but we have a free input and I had been considering buying a handheld camera and with a wireless transmitter to add some up-close footage to spice up the broadcast. The Aries Wireless Pro looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for, and is definitely in my price range. I was wondering if you could shed some light on this though: Our system would require converting this hdmi to SDI for our switcher. Do you have experience converting to SDI, and if so is there any latency or issues that you're aware of?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:07:31 pm

Theoretically it should work perfectly, but as with any wireless gear there is risk of interference to foil your plan 😉

I've used it successfully to:
  • Send a wireless feed to my switch 100' away across the Richmond Aud

• Send wireless feed from the stage wings to my switch

• Test hand-held walking around my house (worked fine until out of range)

• Send signal from from FOH to a backstage monitor

• That all said, I've been let down a few times where I kept getting sporadic (unexplained) signal drops leading to us not using that camera in the switch.

Regarding latency, it hasn't been an issue at all with this device. When it works (which is the majority of the time) it is a joy to have. Although I've gone direct into my switch with it, I do convert other HDMI signals to SDI for 100-150' runs and haven't had issue. I delay my audio 66ms to compensate for switch output delays, but I don't believe that has to do with HDMI->SDI conversions, and definitely not because of the Aries Wireless Pro.

Return to posts index

Wharton Howell
    on Feb 28, 2017 at 11:46:52 pm

That's great to hear! The distance from stage to FOH is about 50 ft, so the desired close-ups I'm looking to get would stay around that range. I'll definitely keep the ARIES bookmarked and it looks like it'll most likely be my go to when I decide to make the purchase. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
    on Mar 1, 2017 at 12:00:11 am

Where are ya based.. maybe it'd be cheaper to hire a camera op who already owns one?

;-)

Return to posts index

Wharton Howell
    on Mar 1, 2017 at 4:50:02 am

Haha based in NY but this is more of a personal expense to have more fun at work/impress the bosses type thing. Plus it never hurts to add to the personal gear!

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
    on Mar 1, 2017 at 12:53:15 pm

Ah.. sure.. I totally get it. ☺

For the record, we are in Buffalo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]