FORUMS: list search recent posts

sonyXD cam recording and live feed to big screen at the same time ??

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Willis
sonyXD cam recording and live feed to big screen at the same time ??
on Sep 27, 2016 at 12:01:52 pm

Hi guys,
I have been tasked with a request that i feel i can handle but have never done before.

i have been asked to video record a live concert at a local festival but aswell a recording to the Sony XDcam memory card i need to be able to simultaneously send what is being captured (via HDMI video and audio) to a big screen on stage and the all the TVs in the bar next door.

now setting up the link to the big screen and the link to the bar are not my responsibility there will be another AV guy setting that up before hand .

my questions are as follows :
1) can i record to the cams memory cards and pump the live feed via HDMI sending audio and video to the bar next door . have been to the other AV guys will have a HDMI booster box to send it the distance but just wanted to confirm i cvan record and send AV at the same time....

2)option for embedding the audio into the video :
the cams i have will allow for audio XLR inputs but i am wonder what is the safter of the two options :
take L and R stereo outputs straight from the FOH mixer in directly into the cam ? (processed audio but risky or not ?)
or mount my own shotgun mic to the cam and use that mic to capture the live sound in the room less risky but diminished audio quality ???

3) finally i need to be ablr to play prerecorded video between each performance : cam que these up on my laptop and hdmi them out but again eanted to ensure that i can send audio and video to some sort of video switcher where i can switch back and forth between cam 1 , cam 2 and pre rec video .

also if i have 2 cams both taking in XLR audio will there be any glitching when switching back and forth?

any advice or tips or pages to research would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: sonyXD cam recording and live feed to big screen at the same time ??
on Sep 28, 2016 at 5:32:59 am

Hi Johnny,

You didn't list the camera, but in most cases, yes, you can get a live feed through HDMI while recording. You might have to turn off display settings to get a clean feed. Now for the caveats. HDMI can't easily be secured, I would make sure you have a nice loop to secure that cable somewhere on the camera. On the distance, after 50 feet, even the best cooper cable won't guarantee a 1080P 30. signal. Your options are HDMI fiber or HDMI to SDI for distance up to 400 feet before reclocking.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Johnny Willis
on Sep 28, 2016 at 6:52:41 am

sorry all the specific cam is the pxwx160 althoug i have an option to upgrade to the Sony sf7. am very used to the pxwx160 but have only ever drooled over the sf7 I'm thinking better the devil you know ..... any thoughts - also is it OK to take audio from the FOH mixer into two separate cams - does audio glitch if using a switcher to change vet ween cam ?

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Sep 28, 2016 at 2:16:03 pm

That camera has SDI out, I would definitely look at that option first, even if that means converting on the other end back to HDMI or DVI. Sure, you can bring audio into multiple cameras. Switching should have not effects on audio.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]