FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Ipad Multi-cam setup for professional shoot?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Walker
Using Ipad Multi-cam setup for professional shoot?
on Aug 25, 2016 at 4:47:46 pm

I recently discovered two IOS apps: RecoLive Multicam and Switcher Studio. I have 3 ipads and used my old iphone 5 and tested out streaming live at a friends' band concert. I was stunned by how well it came out for being a live stream.

RecoLive Multicam allows you to record in HD on all cameras and use one of the ipads as a live video switcher. If you want to re-edit something in post, you still have all the cameras recorded on each device to go back to.

I'm wondering if anyone has anything to say about the use of this professionally. I know that there are cases for the ipad that support the addition of DSLR lenses, but I'm not taking a step to purchase some of those cases/adapters until I know that it's worth it.

I have an orchestra to record in with multiple cameras in a few weeks and am wondering if I'm crazy for wondering if it's easier to shoot on all my ipads rather than my main multi-cam set up which includes my Panasonic HMC40, Canon T3i, and two GoPros.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Using Ipad Multi-cam setup for professional shoot?
on Aug 29, 2016 at 6:17:28 pm

Hi Kyle,

I don't think you'll find anyone recommending iPads for a any shoot. You have issues with audio input, video noise, monitoring, and potential app crashes. Also, DSLR lenses on the iPad would likely cut so much light that it would not be usable indoors unless you had a lot of bright soft lighting. I would stick to video cameras for this.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Using Ipad Multi-cam setup for professional shoot?
on Aug 30, 2016 at 2:33:32 pm

Kyle, the setup you're playing with could be potentially useful in a rehearsal situation in a small, tightly-packed music studio with a group of 4-5 musicians, but I wouldn't try it on something like a formal orchestral show. And yes, audio is a bigger issue than many may realize in this case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]